Crash on Merge with a / Inside folder or drive

Context: I have 2 Google accounts and want to share most folders between the two of them.

So, recently Google Drive completely removed the possibility to insert a shared folder as a native folder in your drive. Even Shift+Z doesn’t work, it will just add a shortcut; which looks good on the web, but terrible on local sync (it’s just a link to the shared folder on the web, no sync occurs at all).

So, I tried to make this work with insync anyway, i.e. correctly syncing a shared folder content on my local drive. I went to Shared with me > locate shared folder > 2-way sync to…

Here, I got 3 options: Base folder, Merge with a folder or drive… and Inside folder or drive…

The first one, Base folder, looks good, but in fact, it doesn’t sync with what I think would be my Google Drive root, with all the other folders (owned and shared - from the time it was possible to make shared folders look like owned ones). Instead, it puts the local synced folder in default path /home/USER/Insync/EMAIL/Google Drive - Shared with me which is not very convenient to access (I can bookmark it, no problem, but that folder is now isolated form the others).

The second and third options “Merge with a folder or drive…” and “Inside folder or drive…” instantly crash insync on click. I have to restart it each time.

I suspect that one of those two options may allow me to circumvent Google Drive’s limitation for placing shared folders inside my root. Maybe they won’t show in My Drive in insync, only in Shared with me, but at least on my local drive, it will appear as if all folders are at the same level.

If you fix this, I will be able to test it and see if that’s enough for my purpose.

I can test on Windows too, see if it doesn’t crash.

As a possible workaround, I noticed the new feature “Shared Drives”. I may be able to simulate what I want by sharing a whole top-level folder that contains all the folders I want to share between the two accounts. But it may need some work to move all my existing folders, we’ll see…

UPDATE: looks like Shared Drives are really made for teams, and insync requires Team pricing at $150 (made for companies) to allow local syncing them, so not really for me…

Hello, @huulong!

My apologies for the trouble! I will check this out - it seems like I am able to merge the folder as well as sync it inside a drive just fine :thinking: If you’d like us to investigate this further, please do send your logs.db and out.txt files to support@insynchq.com with the link to this post, including the 1) name of the Shared folder you wanted to sync and 2) the location you wanted to sync it to (before the app crashed).

Could you also let me know if moving the Shared with me sync location from /home/USER/Insync/EMAIL/Google Drive - Shared with me to your preferred one would be an option so you can sync those shared files locally?

Sure, I’m sending an email with that info. Only logs.db seems to be changing after the crash.

1 Like