Delete or not to delete. What is the Cycle?

Hello,

I’m a beginner to all this syncing across the cloud and I normally sit in the Déjà Dup Backup Tool camp to a usb drive.

I’m happy with the selection of files to syncronise but my question is this:

If I want to delete a file or a folder…do I delete it from the linux box or do I delete it from the cloud

In otherwords what is my primary data folder cloud or PC.

A simple question, no doubt asked so many times (I did do a search) so your help is appreciated.

Regards

K

Hi!

Since Insync is a two-way sync, if you delete a synced file from one place it would also be deleted on the other. What would you like to achieve in doing so (ie clear cloud/local space)?

I would like to use my computer as the main directory storage. The Google Drive would be in effect my backup of my computer. If I delete a folder file on my computer, I would expect it to be removed on Google Drive, which I believe is what you mentioned as the answer.
So hopefully my document folder on the computer is the main one :slight_smile:

Keep in mind insync isn’t really a backup solution. It’s primary function is to facilitate access across devices by ensuring multiple devices contain the same files/folders being synced.

Changes on any one device including in the cloud, replicate across all devices. This means if you delete a file on your local device it is deleted on all other devices including the cloud account. If you delete a file in the cloud it is deleted on all synced devices.

Another example, say ransomware on your local computer encrypts files currently being synced, insync will likely detect the files as changed and sync with the cloud, overwriting the files in the cloud and potentially on all other linked devices. Effectively you lose all data across devices.

You still should use a separate backup solution from insync.

Absolutely, I have a number of additional backups, but utilising Google Drive and insync everytime I rebuild a distrobution will be helpful.

Thanks all.

Regards

:slight_smile: