Does insync support google drive folders that have millions of files?

Hello I have a google drive folder that is ~ 5Tb in size with about 10million files. I noticed that insync was a 32-bit app. I also noticed that the app says that its syncing but I am unable to open the app window to check its status or to change any settings. I keep getting a blank white window when I try to open it.

What could be the reason for this? Is there a way I can fix it?

I’ve already tried syncing no folders after installing and then waiting for that to finish to start selecting folders to sync. But if I was to restart my computer then the blank window issue returns.

My system:
Windows 10 pro x64 FCU. Running insync 1.4 Beta

Hi @Gabriel_Fair can you send in your logs along with the link to this post ti support@insynchq.com?

It is the logs.db and out.txt files in this folder: C:\Users\ [username] \AppData\Roaming\Insync

Emailed. Thanks. “out.txt” was blank btw.

I got this response from support.

Hello Gabriel,

We have had users who have successfully sync’d 1 million+ files using Insync.

I inspected the logs and dbs; they did not reveal any issues far. Insync so far has counted and scanned about 1.4 million files locally. With such a large data set, I agree that the UI can get unresponsive and we will work on fixing that.

Also, if the number of files+folders in the Insync folder is large, the initial local folder scan every time you start Insync or do a pause-resume may take quite some time. This scan includes examination of every local file to see if it was changed while Insync wasn’t running/was paused. During this phase Insync would just either say “X items queued” or “Scanning for changes…” and minimal transfers would happen.

If local files do not change when Insync is not running, you may skip the local folder when Insync starts:

1. Go to %appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
  2. Right click Insync shortcut -> click Properties
  3. In the “Target” field under the “Shortcut” tab append --skip-local-scan (See: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3IOdW-9p9oLN0hXWHhVS1kxOEk/view)
  4. Click Apply
  5. Perform steps 2-4 to for the other Insync shortcuts too: %appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\Insync.lnk and %appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Insync\Insync.lnk

This will make it skip the local folder scan to look for changes made while it wasn’t running and hence it would proceed to the transfers faster. The changes that are done when Insync is running (not paused) will continue to be detected.

Note: This doesn’t affect the scan after pause-resume; please never pause-resume/force-sync Insync as it will make Insync scan the entire local folders again. Further, --skip-local-scan would not abruptly terminate the current scan in progress, it will continue till completion. Hence this setting is effective only after the current scan has completed.

Let us know how it progresses.

Thanks

Dipesh from Insync