Dual-boot (manjaro/windows), recomended partition file system?

Hello,

I would like to have my Google Drive files shared across my dual boot system (manjaro and windows 11). What is the best file system to work in such a setup? Is NTFS reliable to work in Linux (everyday use of files and folders) or would it be better to try another filesystem (using some kind of driver in Windows, for instance)?

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @zepadovani! Just checking a few things that could help in this scenario:

What would “best” look like in your case? Are you looking for certain dealbreakers to avoid as well?

The “best”, in my case, would be to have a specific partition, which could be written/read in both systems, and that would me allow to sync with my google drive files without giving me any sort of error or risk of losing data. I have all my everyday files in a big google drive, so it would be main my place to work with every kind of file in both systems. In manjaro, usually I preferer to mount this kind of partition inside my user folder…

Any recommendations regarding file system/setup in this case?

Let me check if our team has specific recommendations :slight_smile:

I have a similar setup with Ubuntu and Win 11. exFAT works reasonably well. I have one exFAT partition linked to a subdirectory of my user directory in linux. exFAT is fast enough for simple file use. I make lots of back ups since there is no journaling.

NTFS is a problem because Windows fast start up leaves it in a proprietary state that leads to errors reading from Linux. Fast start up can be turned off though.

I don’t sync from both OS if that is your use case so cannot say if that would cause problems

1 Like

Thank you for your input, @jamdo63!