Experience / Feedback of issues with the beta I just installed

1.4 beta version number: 1.4.1
Operating system: Win 10
Do I have any other Google sync software installed including official one? No

Issue: So I am a long term user of the old version, just installed 1.4 and had a bunch of issues:

1. Last year, I changed windows so that it stores My Documents and My Pictures inside the Onedrive folder, so that important files sync there, as my main device is a tablet PC which could get lost/stolen.

First thing I did was to rename the folder from email@gmail.com to Google Drive but then InSync would not let me move the folder to C:\Users\TabPro S\OneDrive\Google Drive with a sync error message about the folder does not exist. I had to change it to C:\Users\TabPro S\OneDrive\My Documents\Google Drive and use that sub-folder instead. So now whatever files I pick to sync from Drive, are also mirrored to Onedrive.

1. I chose to sync a folder which now worked. Then I chose to un-sync a sub-folder which had too many large files. I then went back to the folder and chose “Sync entire folder”, the sub-folder which I had un-synced, it was created twice, once with a normal folder name, and another folder with (2) at the end. The files ended up syncing to the (2) folder.

2. I then moved some files into this folder from my downloads folder to back the up to the cloud. Insync did not detect these new files. When the folder was selectively synced or “sync entire folder” it had no effect.

3. So I go back to InSync and right click on the folder and choose New -> Folder to create a sub-folder. This folder then doesn’t sync and create a blank folder on my computer. In Insync this folder just has a sync icon instead of a tick icon and nothing happens.

4. Because InSync doesn’t stay always on top, I cannot drag files onto it. Instead I choose to view the new folder on the web, and drag the file I want to sync into there. That upload is completed through the web interface, but Insync is still not syncing. I try pause/unpause. no effect so I quit and restart Insync. Now that new folder still doesn’t sync, so I have a look and now it doesn’t have the sync icon, it is just the static icon. I choose “sync entire folder” and finally it works. The folder is created on my computer! It says so in the feed. But what’s this? The file doesn’t sync still! I view it on the web and the file is there. The sub-folder has a green tick. InSync has a green tick. The file is missing. So I double click on the folder, all of a sudden the green tick turns to a sync icon again, and the file is listed and also has a sync icon. But no syncing is taking place. The preview doesn’t work either, but maybe that is due to being an .MP4

It should not be this hard every step of the way. Please investigate these issues I have raised and let me know if you need more input.

In the meantime, I will just be using InSync to access my existing files stored on Google Drive while testing using OneDrive more. It just so elegantly integrates with windows 10 so much better since the changes late last year, even though it loses points for having a crappier web interface than Google.

Thanks

1 Like