Extend file matching to across the entire Drive

I’m migrating from Dropbox to Google Drive. One big shortcoming I noticed in both Insync and the official client is the lack of file matching across the entire Google Drive storage.

Example 1:
Uploading an exact copy of a large file (maybe different filename) that’s already in the cloud, but to a different location.
Insync: full upload
Dropbox: detect that this file already exists in the cloud, and copy the file in the cloud instead of doing a full upload.

Example 2:
Uploading an exact copy of a large file that I recently deleted (still in the GDrive’s bin) to maybe a different location.
Insync: full upload
Dropbox: detect that this file exists in the cloud, and copy the file on the cloud from bin to new location, no full upload

Since Insync can already match files in the same folder, it should have the necessary checksum. There may be concerns for speed, or difficulty in changing the database structure (if possible/necessary) to allow efficient matching. Then at least first implement extended matching for large files (say >100MB), then even a relatively inefficient matching should be much faster than a full upload, and also saves bandwidth.

1 Like

We are working to improve file matching and will add these use cases :slight_smile:

That’s good to know.
Can we expect these use cases to be covered in Insync 1.x or Insync 2?

More likely in Insync 2.