Extreme energy impact/cpu usage

I’m using Insync for quite some time already and just stepped up to a new macbook pro. The battery life of this machine should be around 5-10 hours, but I just don’t get over 2 hours. I started to look into the energy usage and I notice that if I look in the activity monitor that Insync uses 99,9% cpu and that the average energy impact given is 56%, while giving a regular usage of 100%! That seems totally out of line for me. It’s not syncing as there is a green checkmark next to the picture in the taskbar. I’m using MacOS Mojave and have no idea what’s happening. Is there any experience with this problem?

1 Like

Hi @Andre_vd_Hoeven

My apologies for the trouble! :frowning: This is a known issue that our team is currently working on. Can you please send your logs to support@insynchq.com with the link to this post?

1 Like

Have you guys thought about scheduled syncing? I mean, I don’t need my GDrive to be updated in realtime. I could live with a sync every 60, 90 or even 120 minutes. And if there’s something really urgent that I need, I can still manually trigger a sync isn’t it?

Please let me know if this feature is on your roadmap or not. Despite having used your software for more than 5 years I am so close to quit and look for alternative solutions. I know that building software ain’t easy but come on, don’t be a frickin CPU / energy hogger…

1 Like

I have the same problem. Any solution?

1 Like

I’m having the same issue. Insync takes up a lot of resources resulting in high CPU and high fan speed. It seems like restarting the program a couple times will sometimes resolve the issue but not permanently.

Hi @jmartinez77x and @Demetris_Stavrou. Sorry for not responding sooner!

Could you specify your OS (ie MacOS 10.14.4, Windows 10, Ubuntu 18.04 LTS)? Does this happen even if files are not being synced (ie no changes are being made to any document)?

@mia I’m on 10.14.4/5 and it seems to happen independently of files being synced. Generally I’ll restart my computer and it will run but even hours later it will have high CPU usage when not syncing. The only trick to get it to calm down, like I mentioned, is to restart it until it slows down.

Yep same issue for me. I regularly restart insync on my Mac to reduce power consumption.
I am running 10.14.5 (as of this morning)

Same here. I’m using Arch and Insync version 1.5.7 installed from AUR (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/insync).

Coming back to say that reinstalling Insync, deleting all configuration files and setting it up again fixed the problem.

Hi, I’ve been using ubuntu 18.04 and Insync for a month now, and I’ve been constantly complaining about my system being sluggish and loud. In the beginning I was blaming my old system (a 2009 macbook pro) for poor performance and (why not?) GNOME shell …but I then discovered the problem was in fact InSync client (version 3.0.23). It looks like the client is constantly using 100% of one of my two cores making it almost unusable. Is there an option to limit Insync CPU usage?

We’ve tried to limit it by capping the syncing use to 12 files at a time. Is your Insync currently syncing or is stuck syncing?

I’ve been seeing a similar issue on MacOS – I believe it is due to the way the Feed view is rendered.

I sync source code which sometimes consists of hundreds of thousands of files to google drive (probably making me a worst case user for you :wink: ). This means that the feedview is frequently flooded with a great deal of recently changed files. For whatever reason, this seems to cause Insync to just sit spinning at 100% CPU utilization. When I switch away to another view i.e. the Attention Required Files view the CPU usage immediately drops.

A quick fix would be to simply change the default view the application opens to. Ideally however, perhaps the development team could profile and figure out what is causing the UI to lag in these cases.

Hi @garethgeorge,

Thank you so much for this lead! We’ve notified our engineers regarding this and will post an update once this has been addressed.

Thanks so much! Look forward to the patch :slight_smile:

1 Like

Same issue here. Have Xubuntu 19.10, with 32G RAM in the system. Running in the background, not even actively synching I’ll see 8-16 G of memory use. Until this is fixed I’m only going to use Insync intermittantly, perhaps doing overnight backups to the cloud weekly.

@wiltja619 this is a known issue we’re addressing in the next releases. Could you please send your log files to support@insynchq.com with the link to this post (if you haven’t)? :slight_smile:

has performance been addressed in recent releases? :slight_smile:

/Edit: On OSX Mojave 10.14.6 (18G103) idle insync uses 1% CPU but also close to 1 GB memory!? I restarted insync about 8 hours ago because memory was at 1 GB before as well.

On Ubuntu 18.04 and 20.04 LTS, Insync usually runs 100% on 1 CPU, when it has work to do. I really hope you are working on efficient multi-core usage (and just plain better performance), because the CPU fan is running all the time and the battery is quickly being drained.

Hi updated inync (from 1.? to 3.1.5) and now I get very high cpu usage on ubuntu 18.04 (1CPU full at 100% day and night - nothing more to sync)…

It was not the case with my old insync version.

I only updated to be able to sync shared google drive, but I must confess that old version was far better concerning cpu usage.