Extreme energy impact/cpu usage

Hi Miamoran:

This happened again today.

The fans spun up and two PIDs were running. Here is a snapshot of the interface. This view did not get resolved even after 5 minutes of waiting.

There is no large sync to my knowledge - certainly nothing I had changed. In fact, I was away from the computer when this started (but in the same room). The numbers kept increasing.

Google Chrome was running at the same time with 16 tabs open. Also a terminal app (Konsole) and Dropbox. The DE is KDE on Kubuntu 20.04. No other user apps were in use. This all occurred on AC power.

Here are all the Insync processes that were running. I killed the third process (3120) which resulted in the interface going blank and all but the 2929 process remaining. CPU usage remained pegged at 125%. I finally killed this process to resolve the issue.

ps -elf  |grep insync
5 S mmikows+    2929       1 30  80   0 - 1995691 futex_ 13:46 ?      01:42:33 /usr/lib/insync/insync start
4 S mmikows+    3101    2929  0  80   0 - 60214 do_wai 13:46 ?        00:00:00 /usr/lib/insync/PySide2/Qt/libexec/QtWebEngineProcess --type=zygote --webengine-schemes=qrc:sLV --lang=en-US
5 S mmikows+    3120    3101  0  80   0 - 60214 poll_s 13:46 ?        00:00:00 /usr/lib/insync/PySide2/Qt/libexec/QtWebEngineProcess --type=zygote --webengine-schemes=qrc:sLV --lang=en-US
1 S mmikows+    3174    3120  0  80   0 - 567739 futex_ 13:46 ?       00:00:03 /usr/lib/insync/PySide2/Qt/libexec/QtWebEngineProcess --type=renderer --disable-gpu-memory-buffer-video-frames --enable-threaded-compositing --enable-features=AllowContentInitiatedDataUrlNavigations --disable-features=MojoVideoCapture,SurfaceSynchronization,UseModernMediaControls,UseVideoCaptureApiForDevToolsSnapshots --disable-gpu-compositing --service-pipe-token=3442027218125797757 --lang=en-US --webengine-schemes=qrc:sLV --num-raster-threads=4 --enable-main-frame-before-activation --service-request-channel-token=3442027218125797757 --renderer-client-id=2 --shared-files

You can see there were no errors. After restart the drive did sync for about 30s and then usage dropped down to 1.3%.

1 Like

I greatly appreciate you sharing all the details here, @Mike_Mikowski! I have also responded to your email requesting for the latest log files. Let me know if you didn’t receive it!

Hi Miamoran:

The issue recurred today. See attached image - two threads are near 100% usage. The destination file system is standard ext4 over standard LUKS full disk encryption.

Sincerely, Mike

ps. I sent you log files the last time, and will follow up on the same thread.

1 Like

This issue appears correlated to the use of custom folder names. I have not heard reports of this issue with default names. I’m suspicious because developers rarely create comprehensive tests for this type of setting. Perhaps I can switch back to default folder names and see if the issue recurs. Is there a simple way to do this?

1 Like

Hi @Mike_Mikowski,

Thank you for that observation. I sent the clarification via email and for those who might stumble upon this thread, I am currently confirming with Mike if he plans to change the location (or recreate) to the default path Insync suggests during onboarding. This is usually ~/Insync/your email/Google Drive (or OneDrive), ~/Shared with me, and ~/Shared Drives (or Sharepoint).

Hi,

Unfortunately, I have the same problem. I reported this in another thread (New Insync version: 3.2.6). Since then, I have to stop Insync since it keeps CPU at 100% and fans running all the time. I have also different default folder names, in case this is related in any way.

Best

Hi @Carlos_A_Iglesias,

So sorry for this! Could you let me know if you’re still on 3.2.6, or have you upgraded to 3.3.4? Also, are you running any other programs and making a lot of offline changes that need to be synced when you run Insync?

Hi,
Sorry, I did not see the message. I am using 3.3.4.40916.

I have seen some progress. Now the problem is that every time I restart the computer, Insync resyncs from scratch. Once it has finished resyncing, the fans stop, and the temperature decreases.

Hope this helps,
Carlos A.

@Carlos_A_Iglesias Hi! When you said it resyncs from scratch, does it say “Scanning” or “Syncing” at the bottom right?

Thanks, I mean scanning. It rescans all the files, it doesn’t matter if they have not been changed.

@Carlos_A_Iglesias Insync scans your entire drive on each boot, to make sure nothing is missed (especially when large changes are made offline). Are you experiencing a long scan time at each boot?

On a laptop it’s sooooo bad. Incredible you sell this software successfully. Guess it’s the lack of alternatives…
It get’s super hot and slow and loud and you battery will die soon!
I don’t have any hope you guys fix this. I mean its been a problem for such a long time now and nothing changed to the better. If you have a look at the change logs you see it’s mainly bug fixes. We really need an alternative.
The only thing I found to make things just a little better is to use cpulimit.
Install cpulimit and then launch insync with:
cpulimit -e insync -l 10
Now it will use less cpu and your laptop does not get as hot and loud anymore.
I like you guys. You’ve been always nice and kind, but unfortunately this fixes no software problems.

1 Like

Thank you for your feedback and my apologies for the experience, @Randalix.

Could you please send your logs.db and out.txt files (guide here) to support@insynchq.com so we can take a look? Are you doing a large sync by any chance?

This problem, reported back in December 2018, is still a problem in September 2021. The longer InSync runs, the more and more slower the computer gets, until a point it’s unusable, so you have to slowly crawl to the Activity Monitor and kill InSync for good to get back the computer to an usable state. The high resource usage happens in both Mac and Windows, but it’s even worse in the Mac version.

How can your product be so unoptimized after all these years? And you sell it as professional product, but this is not ready for use in a professional environment (or even a home environment), because it slows the computer to a crawl!

How come you can’t fix this problem in the 3 years since this was reported?!

Hi @Octavio,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and my apologies for the trouble you’re facing. I completely understand your sentiments; high CPU usage has been a problem for a number of users in the past indeed. Our investigations in the past and as of recent have not yet led us to clearer leads which would explain why it has not yet been permanently fixed.

I have responded to you email with some follow-up questions :slight_smile: Please let me know if you haven’t received it!

I’m currently using CentOS 8.3 with kernel 4.18.0-305.19.1.el8_4.x86_64 and the same issue is happening. I’ve already sent the logfiles to the support team. There is a roadmap to fix the problem? As @Octavio already said, 3 years since the report and the problem are still happening on different platforms.

Hi @Andre_Coelho,

I got your log files, thank you! We have not been successful in past investigations to replicate the issue and we are going to revisit this in an upcoming projects cycle.

Anyone found the solution for this?

My new Macbook Pro M1 is getting super hot when syncing and CPU is at 100%.

Hey @Srdjan_Coric,

Could you please send your logs.db and out.txt files to support@insynchq.com with the link to this post? Please also let me know if you noticed any patterns to this issue, such as: memory leak (excessive memory usage), a lot of files are syncing/being modified, etc.

This is still a problem on 22.04. When I use insync on laptop (intel i5), the cpu hogs at 100% with insync process. When I use it on a desktop computer (same account) with AMD cpu, it works as intended without cpu hogging.

First, there was a difference in the setup. On laptop I was using custom files location. After I stumbled upon

I completely wiped insync, data and all the settings from laptop, installed it from scratch, setted up with default location and hoped. After two nights of syncing the result is that CPU is at 100% like before.

Are there any news about this? The main difference between the two computers is CPU vendor and the voltage obviously.

1 Like