Files Scanning after reboot takes a long time. Can it be done in parallel?

In my main computer I have around >500,000 files amounting to ~1TB in my Google drive.

Every time I start the computer, insync does the initial “Scanning…”, which takes a bit over 30 minutes. Working during these 30 minutes is quite risky, because if I modify a file that changed in my laptop before the scanning gets to it, bad things happen.

In the system settings, I can see a single CPU thread taking care of the scanning. Would it be possible to do this using multiple threads, and hopefully being this configurable by the user? For example, I would love to use 8 of the 16 threads I have available for the initial scanning.

Cheers.

That would only be faster if the process is CPU limited. I expect it is isn’t as it has to scan the, presumably single, disk, so I expect it is I/O limited.

You are completely right, if there is an I/O bottleneck, more CPUs won’t make a difference.

In any case, I wonder if there can be a better way (faster) to do this. ~30 minutes waiting for the initial scan is a long daily wait…

Cheers

You could have a look in task manager to see if it is actually using 100% of a core. It could be CPU limited if it is coded badly. Otherwise it is down to the speed of your storage, e.g. SSD will be faster than disks. I keep my PC on 24/7 and only have the free Google drive limit, so it doesn’t take long for me.

It seems to be using mostly 100% of one of the threads…

I have one of the fast Samsung SSD’s PRO, so not much room for improvement there. And keeping the PC always on is a no-no for me…

Hopefully the insync folks can take a look at this to see if there is anything they can do to improve things.

Thanks!

Hey @Gorka_Navarrete! I’d be happy to send your logs to our team for investigation. Do you mind sending the logs.db and out.txt files to support@insynchq.com with the link to this post?

Shoutout to @nop_head for the assist :slight_smile:

Thanks @mia, logs sent.

1 Like

I feel like your asking the wrong question.

Why does Insync have to do a full scan everytime it restarts.
Why can’t it start where it left off last time.
Like a save point.
And if the user wants to do a full sync they can push a button.

Otherwise all that happens is Insync memory usage goes up the moment you restart.

But to do a process like this comes with a caveat, that Insync memory collection is cleaned up. Presently it is out of control.
The app needs to be lighter.

Good points raised as well @Jamie_Browning. I’ve sought our engineers’ help on this to gain more insight on what’s going on.

@Gorka_Navarrete, it seems like my colleague has received your email containing the logs :slight_smile: