Files temporarily disappear from local drive after a rename

I have had a couple of instances of this since updating to V3.7.0 on Win7, never before the update.

I have a program that implements source control by storing files in an XML database. I wrote it about 20 years ago! It creates files, deletes then and renames them, etc and logs all its actions. Twice it has renamed a file and it has disappeared from my local drive, so it complains it can’t open it again when it tries to read it.

Insync Feed shows the file has been renamed. Google drive activity shows the file has been renamed as well and I can see the file in my Google drive but it is missing from my local file system. However, while investigating it suddenly reappears without any logged activity. In the last case over an hour elapsed between me noticing it being missing and it reappearing and the file was renamed about an hour before that. Totally bizarre.

1 Like

Hey @nop_head! That’s bizarre indeed. :thinking: I have responded to your latest email in relation to this.

Sending this case to our engineers also!

This happened twice more. Two files were renamed last night but this morning they still had their old names in explorer. Simply navigating to them in the Insync GUI caused them to be renamed in front of my eyes in explorer and my app could then read them.

My application logged that it renamed them last light, and GoogleDrive says the same, but my application also said it can’t see them this morning, so explorer isn’t lying. Somehow Insync delays the renaming of a local file while communicating that it has been renamed to the cloud immediately.

The Feed tab in the Insync GUI is odd because it shows activity today, last night, ten days ago, one month ago, two months ago and then 1 year ago and 2 years ago.

I edit multiple flies everyday, so why don’t I see the day before yesterday, etc. If I scroll up and down it fills in more and more items. Is this another bug I should report or is it some weird design? Not sure why I would ever see changes from two years ago because I must edit files thousands of times in that time.

1 Like

Thinking about this. How on earth does Insync stop the operating system from carrying out a system call for many hours?

These files I store on GoogleDrive are a database and I need file operations to be carried out synchronously with my system calls, otherwise the database would be broken. I.e. when a file is renamed the file should have the new name when the system call returns, not some time later. Same when I create, write and delete files.

Hey @nop_head – I’ll follow this up with our engineers and will update you if we need the latest logs to compare with the initial set you’ve sent via email.

This seems to happen whenever I check in a bunch a files to my source control system, one or two of them will fail to be renamed until I navigate to them in the Insync GUI My Drive tree and then they suddenly get renamed when I expand the folder containing them.

Hi @nop_head - thank you for updating and my apologies that this has been persistent.

I will check back with them to see how the investigation is for this one.

Hi again, @nop_head - do you mind sending the latest logs.db and out.txt files after the rename issue is replicated? You can send it to our existing threads so I can trace it easily!

Furthermore, when emailing me the logs, could you also please identify the problematic files? That would really help us in our investigation.

Thank you!! :slight_smile:

I have added the latest logs and my application log which shows the path and times it found it unavailable and I added the time it was renamed and the time it appeared again when I navigated to it in the Insync GUI.

1 Like

@nop_head Thanks so much, I got your email and have forwarded it to our engineers. :slight_smile: