Fix for Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus Upgrade; no GUI on startup

Upgraded to Ubuntu 16.04 no syncing or gui present, nothing seen on forums about a solution; fixed it myself may be helpful to you. Don’t know why this worked.

In this order:

• Uninstall then reinstall insync (with the proper repository), sni-qt and insync-nautilus
  • Run sudo insync start
  • Kill insync from tray
  • copy/overwrite FROM: /home/“put user here”/.config/Insync TO:/root/.config/Insync
    -Lastly I cannot figure out how to run “sudo insync start” on startup; tried rc.local edit, didn’t work, so as far as I know you will have to run,

sudo insync start” after logging in from the terminal and it should open and work with your existing db so it doesn’t re-upload and overwrite existing files.

Hope this helped someone.

thank you for this @Talha_Ahmad! check it out @lpugoy :slight_smile:

@Talha_Ahmad: What is the output if you run insync start --no-daemon as your normal user? Also have you checked the suggestions in this page: (LINUX) How to solve the issue "tray icon is not showing"?

Yes tried those suggestions no dice. Running that command crashed insync and reproduced the following output:
insync start --no-daemon
“sni-qt/21591” WARN 01:22:40.163 void StatusNotifierItemFactory::connectToSnw() Invalid interface to SNW_SERVICE
CRITICAL:root:while creating Client object
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “ideskmain/client.py”, line 861, in client_gevent_runner
File “ideskutils/gevent_itc.py”, line 120, in wrapper
File “ideskutils/gevent_itc.py”, line 29, in wrapper
File “ideskmain/client.py”, line 58, in init
File “ideskmain/client.py”, line 553, in __load_config
File “ideskmain/clientconfig.py”, line 8, in init
File “ideskmain/clientconfig.py”, line 82, in _install_db
File “ideskdb/clientdb.py”, line 135, in init
File “ideskdb/clientdb.py”, line 235, in execute
OperationalError: disk I/O error

Dispute those errors running insync as root still works, but not normal user.

@Talha_Ahmad: Is your home directory located on a different disk or partition? Can you create and modify files/folders under ~/.config/Insync?

No, same disk, and I(normal user) and have R/W access to my that folder under non-root permissions.

@Talha_Ahmad: I see. And all files are owned by your user? If you rename the current ~/.config/Insync folder to test a fresh install does it work?

Yup the that directory is all (recursively) owned by me (user logined in), confirmed via ls -l. Temporarily renaming the dir (w/o sudo of course), and removing (–purge), and reinstalling (w/correct repo for 16.04) doesn’t change the fact that the GUI wont load on boot w/o using sudo.

In short didnt work.

@Talha_Ahmad: I see. After renaming the dir is the error the same when you run insync start --no-daemon?