Gripes, Bugs, Suggestions

Hello, I’ve recently been using InSync across 8 accounts to sync and backup terrabytes of media files - backups and video production files. The backend seems to do what it’s supposed to, and the error log is clear when something trips up (for example, OneDrive requiring no trailing spaces, unusual chars). There is a bunch of stuff though that needs looking at.

Details

MacOS High Sierra
InSync v3.6.1.50206

Bugs

• When switching between accounts (clicking blue account circle), there is a big lag, and GUI actions get mixed up between accounts, for example the “Syncing” slide-up overlay will show results from another account. I am left viewing the previous view’s Files for sometimes up to 10 seconds (if the root folder has many items)
  • Changing the folder location (via cog icon) only intermittently works - the GUI will display the updated folder location, until the page view is refreshed or app restarted, then it shows the previous folder location = the only way past this was to manually remove and re-add each account

Minor Bugs

• The circular account profile pictures do not update themselves to match the cloud hosting account profile picture (even after removing and re-adding the account). I’ve updated each account to be colour-coded, but they are forever a default anonymous grey user icon
  • Account stays “selected” in topbar whilst I’m now viewing an account-wide Feed / Actions / Conflicts / Errors area, which is related to:

Design & Suggestions

• Don’t use popup hovers to show me critical information: I have a long row of identical tiny grey account icons, and I only know which is which whenever hovered. And you might’ve also heard desktops have touchscreens nowadays…
  • Don’t use multiple colours on a single icon, and don’t have them at different sizes
  • Don’t use so much low contrast colours, grey, and differing font sizes - consistent DESIGN SYSTEM, please
  • Please either clearly split out a clear “general stats” area, or think about automatically grouping those into the view of each account, ie: I want to view errors for Account A, I now have to make 2 clicks to errors view, then open filtering dropdown and independently deselect Account B, C, D, E, F, etc. It would be better to:
  • Group together “Feed” / Errors / Conflicts (ie. all backend feedback) for each Account, into its own singular Account Feed view, which has filters for the type of message. I want a sense of progress and logic to what is happening, not an arbitrary GUI, ie: X folder is being uploaded, X folder item N has a conflict -> here is an Action, X folder item N was uploaded etc.
  • Together with this, show a generalised status symbol for each account = blue:syncing, green:synced, red:error

CHEERS,
G

1 Like

Hi @gstt! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback and suggestions.

Regarding the main bugs - we’ll need to check out the lag as well as the issue when changing base folders. Please do send your logs.db and out.txt files to support@insynchq.com with the link to this post. You can access your logs over at: ~/Library/Application Support/Insync. You can copy and paste that path in Finder’s Go -> Go to Folder

Re: Minor bugs

• I can confirm the second point and will send that to our design team
  • As for the first point, that’s odd, because I can see my profile picture for each account I’ve added. Let me check that with the team. Does this persist even after reinstalling Insync 3.6.1?

Re: Designs and suggestions

• All noted down and will send to the team for consideration :slight_smile:

Similarly, I want to add that my Microsoft accounts have no profile pictures on the InSync UI. However at least one of my Microsoft accounts have a profile picture defined (as I checked).

Google Drive works as expected.

1 Like

Hey @gstt and @bayindirh - can definitely confirm that the profile picture issue happens on OneDrive accounts.

@gstt, please disregard my last comment as I didn’t clarify it with you. I have raised this to our engineers as a known bug.

1 Like

Hi @mia

This morning I discovered InSync is memory leaking quite badly:

Seems to be noted on Linux systems as well (on a limb I would guess Windows users are just used to a system gakking up).

I’m running insync-headless 3.2.1.10706-buster on Debian 10 64bit and also have a memory leak, insync is currently sitting at 35.9GB of memory, machine has about 77GB in total. I’m just going to use a monit service for now to restart it when the memory usage exceeds 3GB.

/etc/monit/monitrc rule used;

> # Check insync for memory leak 14/12/2021 version 3.2.1.10706
> check process insync-headless
>       matching "insync-headless"
>       start program = "/bin/systemctl start insync-headless"
>       stop program = "/bin/systemctl stop insync-headless"
>       if memory > 3072 MB for 1 cycles then restart

Hi @gstt, indeed it has been experienced by some Linux users including @map7. I mentioned in the other thread you created that part of our upcoming projects involves better performance checks so we can put this long-standing issue to rest.