HiDPI / Retina displays and Insync version 1.2.3

@Valerio_Mariani: How did you set the scaling factor in Fedora 23?

I’m also hitting this issue with the Cinnamon desktop environment, Most other applications just work - I didn’t have to change any settings either in Cinnamon or my applications. But insync is tiny :thumbsdown:

What toolkit is Insync written with? e.g. QT5? https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/HiDPI#GUI_toolkits

@Tom_Denham: Insync uses PySide and Qt 4. HiDPI is currently supported in Unity and GNOME. Please try running the following commands to check if Cinnamon can also be supported:

gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.interface scaling-factor
gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.interface text-scaling-factor
gsettings get org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.xsettings Gdk/WindowScalingFactor

This is still not fixed (3 years later). What can we do? I run gnome and all apps look good except for insync. The output of gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.interface scaling-factor in my case is uint32 0 which means “automatic scaling”. You should use something like gdk_screen_get_monitor_scale_factor to get the actual factor and not rely on that property.

+1 for HiDPI support. InSync is the only app on Gnome that doesn’t scale properly. I won’t hold my breath, as it appears this issue has been noted for many years, but wanted to add another request.

+1 for HiDPI support. Any news here ?

+1 for HiDPI support (a couple months later). This is still not properly working.

+1 for HiDPI support - using DELL XPS 13 with 3200 x 1800 screen - pretty much unusable

@cbernard333 @falconapps Hey guys, what’s your OS version?

Rest assured the HiDPI fix will be released soon so we can put this to rest. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ubuntu 18.0.1 (standard Ubuntu)

@falconapps Our engineer’s working on this. I’ll keep you guys posted once the build’s ready. :slight_smile:

Just add variables QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR=1 QT_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTORS=0.5 to /usr/bin/insync and /usr/bin/insync-headless:
#!/bin/bash
cd /usr/lib/insync
LC_TIME=C QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR=1 QT_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTORS=0.5 exec ./insync “$@”
Now it looks normal.

3 Likes

any news about this features?

1 Like

HiDPI support is in the works :wink:

thanks, this actually fixes it!

1 Like

Thanks @snw, this fixes it pending an official fix (Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3, Dell XPS15 4K HiDPI)

I am running version 3.3.6.40933 and this is still an issue. However this fix works.

Just for specifics:

1. Quit Insync
  2. Edit the file: /usr/bin/insync (you will need to use sudo)
  3. Insert QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR=1 QT_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTORS=0.5 between LC_TIME=C and exec
  4. Save and restart Insync

Another note, the next time you update the Insync binaries, it may overwrite your changes and you will have to do this again.

1 Like

Hi @sgtnasty,

Just wanted to check if the HiDPI settings on Insync 3.3.6 did not work out for you? https://help.insynchq.com/en/articles/2358580-linux-enabling-hidpi-setting

Yes it did, thank you.

1 Like