How best to change the configuration of a started insync service?

I wanted to change the “root” directory of a particular account from ~/insync/onedrive/mike@carif.io' to~/insync/1drive/mike@carif.io. I paused syncing, changed the path, but even after applying the change, the old path remained. So stopped the service (killed it actually), hoping toinsync show` without running the daemon. No luck. Now I can’t restart
the service nor can I launch the (Qt) dashboard.

So, my questions:

• How do I/should I stop the service for configuration changes? I paused syncing, but that wasn’t sufficient?

• How do I restart the service? The “startup application” just does insync start. I assume I could do likewise.

The specifics are below:

$ lsb_release -a ## on ubuntu 19.19
LSB Version:	core-11.0.1ubuntu1-noarch:printing-11.0.1ubuntu1-noarch:security-11.0.1ubuntu1-noarch
Distributor ID:	Ubuntu
Description:	Ubuntu 19.10
Release:	19.10
Codename:	eoan

$ apt policy insync ## installed insync via apt
insync:
  Installed: 3.0.28.40721-bionic
  Candidate: 3.0.28.40721-bionic
  Version table:
 *** 3.0.28.40721-bionic 500
        500 http://apt.insync.io/ubuntu eoan/non-free amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

$ killall insync
$ ps aux|grep insync  # insync stopped. Is there a better way?

$ glxinfo -B ## Can this box run OpenGL? Looks like it...
name of display: :1
display: :1  screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
Memory info (GL_NVX_gpu_memory_info):
    Dedicated video memory: 8192 MB
    Total available memory: 8192 MB
    Currently available dedicated video memory: 4785 MB
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GTX 1070/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 435.21
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.60 NVIDIA
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile

OpenGL version string: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 435.21
OpenGL shading language version string: 4.60 NVIDIA
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL profile mask: (none)

OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.2 NVIDIA 435.21
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.20

insync start --no-daemon
QXcbIntegration: Cannot create platform OpenGL context, neither GLX nor EGL are enabled

Note that if I reboot the machine, insync show will pop up the UI. I just don’t want to reboot if I’m changing configuration information. Note also that
it’s suspicious that OpenGL context flags is (none) and it would appear that the nvidia driver has appeared alongside this error multiple times. In any event,
I have recent nvidia drivers installed, gl libraries for the nvidia and the approprate Qt5 .so’s for QXcbIntegration (whatever that is):

dpkg --list|grep amd|grep nvidia
ii  libnvidia-cfg1-435:amd64                         435.21-0ubuntu2                          amd64        NVIDIA binary OpenGL/GLX configuration library
ii  libnvidia-compute-435:amd64                      435.21-0ubuntu2                          amd64        NVIDIA libcompute package
ii  libnvidia-decode-435:amd64                       435.21-0ubuntu2                          amd64        NVIDIA Video Decoding runtime libraries
ii  libnvidia-encode-435:amd64                       435.21-0ubuntu2                          amd64        NVENC Video Encoding runtime library
ii  libnvidia-fbc1-435:amd64                         435.21-0ubuntu2                          amd64        NVIDIA OpenGL-based Framebuffer Capture runtime library
ii  libnvidia-gl-435:amd64                           435.21-0ubuntu2                          amd64        NVIDIA OpenGL/GLX/EGL/GLES GLVND libraries and Vulkan ICD
ii  libnvidia-ifr1-435:amd64                         435.21-0ubuntu2                          amd64        NVIDIA OpenGL-based Inband Frame Readback runtime library
ii  nvidia-compute-utils-435                         435.21-0ubuntu2                          amd64        NVIDIA compute utilities
ii  nvidia-cuda-dev                                  10.1.168-1build1                         amd64        NVIDIA CUDA development files
ii  nvidia-cuda-gdb                                  10.1.168-1build1                         amd64        NVIDIA CUDA Debugger (GDB)
ii  nvidia-cuda-toolkit                              10.1.168-1build1                         amd64        NVIDIA CUDA development toolkit
ii  nvidia-dkms-435                                  435.21-0ubuntu2                          amd64        NVIDIA DKMS package
ii  nvidia-driver-435                                435.21-0ubuntu2                          amd64        NVIDIA driver metapackage
ii  nvidia-kernel-common-435                         435.21-0ubuntu2                          amd64        Shared files used with the kernel module
ii  nvidia-kernel-source-435                         435.21-0ubuntu2                          amd64        NVIDIA kernel source package
ii  nvidia-opencl-dev:amd64                          10.1.168-1build1                         amd64        NVIDIA OpenCL development files
ii  nvidia-openjdk-8-jre                             9.+8u77~10.1.168-1build1                 amd64        NVIDIA provided OpenJDK Java runtime, using Hotspot JIT
ii  nvidia-profiler                                  10.1.168-1build1                         amd64        NVIDIA Profiler for CUDA and OpenCL
ii  nvidia-settings                                  435.21-0ubuntu2                          amd64        Tool for configuring the NVIDIA graphics driver
ii  nvidia-utils-435                                 435.21-0ubuntu2                          amd64        NVIDIA driver support binaries
ii  nvidia-visual-profiler                           10.1.168-1build1                         amd64        NVIDIA Visual Profiler for CUDA and OpenCL
ii  xserver-xorg-video-nvidia-435                    435.21-0ubuntu2                          amd64        NVIDIA binary Xorg driver

$ locate --regex 'lib.*cb.*\.so'|grep insync
/usr/lib/insync/libQt5XcbQpa.so.5
/usr/lib/insync/libX11-xcb.so.1
/usr/lib/insync/libxcb-render.so.0
/usr/lib/insync/libxcb-shm.so.0
/usr/lib/insync/libxcb-xkb.so.1
/usr/lib/insync/Crypto/Cipher/_raw_cbc.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so
/usr/lib/insync/Crypto/Cipher/_raw_ecb.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so
/usr/lib/insync/Crypto/Cipher/_raw_ocb.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so
/usr/lib/insync/PySide2/plugins/bearer/libqgenericbearer.so
/usr/lib/insync/PySide2/plugins/platforms/libqxcb.so

I don’t know all that much about Qt5, so I’ll assume the right libraries were installed. I note that there are a few other forum questions related to Qt5 ui issues.
There are many libraries in flight and all kinds of dependencies, so I realize its a challenge to wrangle all the dependencies. But it’s also a flaw not to have a way
to edit configurations while the service is running.

Hi @Mike_Carifio,

As per our engineers, the root directory cannot be manually changed due to the inotify limitation, because we do not know the new location. You’ll hve to use the base folder settings on the app to do this.

Running insync start or starting Insync via the desktop will launch the GUI. If that doesn’t work, let me know.