How has inSync created duplicate folders?

I do a sync from some of my NAS folders to my GD using inSync and the weirdest thing is that it has created the folder twice with exactly the same name! It hasn’t happened on every folder, just a few.

It’s also created a folder called PICS to a duplicate folder called PICS (2) which doesn’t exist at all on the NAS.

It’s making it very confusing and I’m now scared to delete any of the folders on GD.

How on earth has that happened?

I do have inSync running on a desktop at home and my work laptop, but they are supposed to be syncing different folders. I notice now that my laptop is trying to sync my NAS folders too which I didn’t enable. How has that happened?

Hi there, can you kindly send in your logs (How to find the log files) to support@insynchq.com along with the link to this post so we can investigate?

cc @dipesh

@cateyed: Please also include the compressed copy of the dbs folder (present next to the logs file) and tell us the names/paths of problematic files/folders so that we could analyze and tell you what caused it.

Thanks

I am having sync issues where duplicates of files are being created with a (2)(2)(2)… and so on. I can’t find what is causing this issue?

I have the same problem. InSync creates duplicate of a random folder from time to time. This probably then leads to the issue “Rate limit exceeded”.

This issue happening to me also. New user, day 1 - and now i see multiple folders duplicated with no files in them. Not a good start!

Duplicate folders and files all over in random order continuously. folder(1) folder(2) folder(3)… file(1) file(2) file(3).

Messed up my entire google drive…

Same problem on my Ubuntu 16.04 machine, running insync-1.3.9.36089 and insync-nautilus-1.3.8.36087.
Some files get “versioned” with brackets, e.g., myfile.txt, myfile (1).txt, myfile (2).txt, etc… with the latest version of the file having the max number.
These files with brackets also appear online on the google drive, except for the last version of the file (the one with the max number), which appear with the same name as the original file (i.e. I see to lines with the same filename but different modification dates and file sizes).

This is very annoying, because collaborators also get this mess of files which then become “normal” files that are synced across hosts. Overall it basically prevent from working (my scripts use outdated files) and use disk space.

Is it possible that Insync does not handle correctly Google drive’s versionning system (it keeps versions for 30 days)?

Thanks!

1 Like

@renz: Apologies for the trouble. Please send your logs to support@insynchq.com for investigation: How to find the log files.

I have the exact same issue on OneDrive… some folders and files from synology multiplicated with (1), (1)(1), 1 1 1 etc… Messed up my business account.

1 Like

@Tom_K Hi! So sorry for what happened. Could you walk me through how you setup your OneDrive account and when you started to notice the duplication?

Well, it’s rather strange, I moved files into folder in OneDrive folder, then enabled InSync (onedrive business), it works normally for few days, then it go crazy, pick some random folder and start to double it or files inside of it (especially pdf and jpg files), creating 1, 1 1, 1 1 1 files etc.
Oh and it also randomly delete my files, from time to time I found it delete file from folder I do not acces at all. I have to restore it then.
I have setup to ask what to do every time if there’s a mismatch between cloud and local.
Sorry, but that’s totally unreliable experience.
Ubuntu 20.04.2 in KDE NEON variant.

Hi @Tommy_CZ,

If you haven’t, please do send us your logs.db and out.txt files if you’d like us to investigate this further. Thank you!