Indicator Elementary Juno

I recently moved to Elementary 5.0 Juno. I installed Insync, since is the best Google Drive client out there, but I can’t get the indicator to show up in the wingpanel. Do yo have any workaround to fix this?

1 Like

Me too! This makes insync useless on this OS. Please, please address this!

Hi guys! Any chance you’re on GNOME? :slight_smile: If so, can you try installing the AppIndicator extension and let me know if the issue persists?

Hi, I’m not on GNOME (I know insync works ok there). I am working on Elementary Juno (5.0). I used to run Elementary Freya (previous version) and I got insync up and running, but in this new version of the OS there is no way to get the indicator on the screen.

Hi guys, here’s a discussion on wingpanel indicators on Juno and a possible workaround: https://www.reddit.com/r/elementaryos/comments/9qf33c/how_to_use_those_app_which_depends_on_wingpanel/

The problem isn’t Insync but the fact that Juno doesn’t support wingpanel indicators.

1 Like

Thank you for this :metal:

Thank you very much! Insync is up and running.

1 Like

Sorry, but I do not see any workaround in this discussion. Could you share it here please?

I assigned a keyboard shortcut to show the insync window. I actually prefer this to seeing the indicator icon all the time. This way, if I want to know what’s going on I just open the window. Otherwise Insync just does its thing quietly behind the scenes.

So I have my keyboard shortcut set under Keyboards > Shortcuts > Custom:
/usr/bin/insync show [whatever key combo you want]

1 Like

I think that’s the most sensible solution to eOS removing the system tray. In fairness, I’ve found that I can operate without the system tray. I keep insync in the dock and let it do it’s thing in the background, but I might switch to your method to remove clutter from the dock. Thanks for the tip!

Actually, don’t ask me how because I’ve done so many things now, I’ve managed to have the insync icon in the wingpanel. The downside is that insync doesn’t sync at all. Is anyone having this issue?

For anyone wanting to get the App indicators working on the ElementaryOS desktop I follow this guide:

I had the sync problem, but that was the version from the website.
I was getting apt repo. not signed error for the insync repos b/c the pkg from the website sets the insync repo version to precise, so once I changed it in software sources(Software & updates) > Other software tab > select Insync repo > select edit > Change Precise 2 Bionic > Close and reload && sudo apt upgrade.

• Caveat ElementaryOS(Juno) doesn’t include the Software & Updates(Software Sources) Utility by default, but I had it b/c I installed Gnome-software from the Ubuntu directions on flathub for flatpak(GUI) support. *
    It seams to be syncing fine now.
1 Like

Thanks for sharing, @OpnSrcConstruction!