Insync 1.5.7.37371 a couple questions

Hi everybody,
I’m still using Insync 1.5.7.37371 on linux openSuse Tumbleweed.

I have two questions:

• Do you feel that Insync 3.* is finally ready and stable enough for me to jump to the new release without worries? I have heard a lot of horror stories in the past…
  • Yesterday my distro got a really big update, and after that Insync 1.5.7.37371 started exhibiting a weird behavior: it apparently is working well, but it is generating a constant flood of core dumps (two/three per second) in /usr/lib/insync/QtWebEngineProcess. Has anybody else seen this behavior? Hints?

Thank you in advance
Cris

Hi @Cris70 :slight_smile:

Thank you for reaching out. :slight_smile: While I am responding as part of the Insync Team, hopefully there is no bias on my end in assisting you!

• Could you let me know what user stories you’ve heard so I can check if those have been addressed (or in the works)?
  • Would you be able to send me a screenshot here so I can send it to our Linux team for confirmation?

Hi @mia,
thank you for your reply.

• Here I’m talking about threads I’ve read in the last couple years at least, I cannot recall them all. Most of those were reported on these forums, and they mostly dealt with complete disappearance of all user files or varying degrees of corruption in user files.
  • I can send you a screenshot of coredumpctl as it shows presently on my PC:

I would also like to attach the output of “sudo coredumpctl info”, but I find no way of attaching a file.

You can find the output of “sudo coredumpctl info” here.

@Cris70 Hi! :slight_smile:

Thank you for sending the output :slight_smile: I’ve forwarded this to our Linux team and await their response.

Re: user experience on Insync 3 - we have found that reports on data loss varies from user to user and we take responsibility for cases where Insync didn’t behave as expected. Those cases are investigated in-depth by our engineers and whenever there is a clear lead to a fix, we deploy it as soon as possible.

In terms of concerns on data loss, we highly recommend that you start with an empty folder when migrating to Insync 3. Are you using symlinks and/or Ignore Rules on Insync 1.5.7?

@mia Thank you!
When you say that you recommend to start with an empty folder, you’re talking about the local folder, correct? Or are you suggesting that I should start with an empty Google Drive? Hope not.

@mia Sorry forgot to reply to the second part of your question.
I think I have some ignore rules set up, but I’m unable to check now because I cannot open the main window of Insync (it shows a flickering gray box and nothing else).
I tried with insync-headless (which does not trigger the core dumps) but got this:

cristiano @ [amended] ~ > insync-headless manage_ignore_list criguada@gmail.com
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 6, in <module>
  File "__main__.py", line 128, in <module>
  File "__main__insync__.py", line 125, in <module>
  File "isyncd/linux/headless/cli.py", line 94, in run
  File "npyscreen/apNPSApplication.py", line 30, in run
  File "npyscreen/npyssafewrapper.py", line 41, in wrapper
  File "npyscreen/npyssafewrapper.py", line 83, in wrapper_no_fork
  File "curses/__init__.py", line 33, in initscr
_curses.error: setupterm: could not find terminal

Hi @Cris70 :slight_smile: It would be the first - start with an empty local folder. Thank you for clarifying this!

I’ll check if we have a way to see Ignore Rules via CLI on 1.x. :slight_smile:

Hi @Cris70 :slight_smile: Could you please use the 2 env variables below before running the manage ignore rules command (the same one you ran earlier)?

export TERM=linux
export TERMINFO=/etc/terminfo

Hi @mia it worked!
I actually have two ignore rules:

• *.directory
  • .directory

Regarding symlinks: I did a quick search and I can say that I have no symlinks in Google Drive (i.e. no names in the Google Drive folder pointing to external files).
I do not know if it is relevant, but it is possible that I have external symlinks that are pointing to files residing in the Google Drive folder.

1 Like

@Cris70 Nice! :slight_smile:

Re: symlinks - migrating from 1.x to Insync 3.x means that any symlinked files (symlinks that were previously synced in 1.x) will need to be synced via Local Selective Sync.

Thank you @mia. And what about ignore rules? Are there any gotchas?

1 Like

For Ignore Rules - once you switch to Insync 3.x it also clears out because we also migrated to a new code (ie we started from scratch when we built Insync 3). I’d recommend copying your ignore rules and saving it as a note so you can easily paste it in the Ignore Rules tab when setting up. :slight_smile:

1 Like