Insync 3.3.6 deleted real files after upgrade from 1.5.7 + reuse existing folder

I have insync on 2 computers - 1 account - windows 10 64bit - ​Insync 1.5.7

2nd computer stopped syncing anything since 25 February 2021
I upgraded to 3.3.6 and let it run.
It started deleting REAL files until I shut it down.

Now I’m struggling to find a way to correctly restore those without restoring actually deleted files.
This is really sad and was the reason I never upgraded to version 3 :frowning:

@ support team. I’m happy to send you log files etc just let me know.
I am uninstalling insync 3 and deactivating that laptop for now until I can recover all the lost files from the trash

UPDATE#1:
I used the folder “.insync-trash” & windows “date-accessed” time to determine that within 2 minutes over 1,684 real files were deleted.
I will now see how I can restore these efficiently without doing it manually…
Insync staff please advise if there is any way?

Quick update. I painfully (2 hours work) restored all the files manually.

I used windows search program “everything” to identify the files using the “data accessed” attribute.
I then copied the path of all the filenames
& used commandline robocopy to move them to a temporary folder preserving the subfolder structures.
& manually copied them back into my google drive & now reuploading them to server.

This was a real waste of 2 hours and it’s an issue which goes very very far back.
I have 2-3 years ago asked this request from Insync team to please add a basic feature as below

“When insync detect a LARGE NUMBER of files to be removed - to ask user for intervention & check/confirm the list of deletions”

This action could further be developed into a simple “commit” feature similar to version control software like GIT.
It could be an optional setting which can be turn on / off.

IF it is on the user will be asked to confirm every sync operation before it is completed.
The sync will show a list of files to be uploaded/deleted/modified & give user prompt to confirm it.

In that situation if I got a sync list to delete 10,000 files (which is what would have happened)
Immediately I will cancel it because I know that’s wrong.

But right now insync doesn’t prompt anything and just deletes files one by one.
I really think this is a wrong way to do things even if you want to be an automated product.

You should at the very least have some kind of safety feature to stop situation like this happening and what I describe above is 1 option

Hi @publow!

We sincerely apologize for this inconvenience that you experienced. We appreciate the feedback that you laid out! These are important prompts to make especially when file deletions are at stake. I’ll bring this up to our team so we can study more on how we can give better prompts for file care.

Yes, please send us your log files to support@insynchq.com

Thank you for your patience.

1 Like