Insync 3 cannot launch browser to sign on Drive (defunct)

Hi to all, in my Fedora 30 box insync starts fine. This is the first installation, so no old insync account/data are present on the computer. When I select “Google Drive” in the welcome screen, nothing happens. I then launched a ps x to verify and see the browser (in my case is firefox) was defunct:
16241 ? Sl 0:01 ./insync start
16252 ? S 0:00 /usr/lib/insync/PySide2/Qt/libexec/QtWebEngineProcess
16254 ? S 0:00 /usr/lib/insync/PySide2/Qt/libexec/QtWebEngineProcess
16272 ? Sl 0:00 /usr/lib/insync/PySide2/Qt/libexec/QtWebEngineProcess
16311 ? Ssl 0:01 /usr/bin/nautilus --gapplication-service
16526 ? Zs 0:00 [firefox] defunct
Installed packages are:

Hi @artu72,

Can you give this another go for me, please? Google announced an issue with their API so I just wanted to make sure if this caused the login issue on your end.

Let me know if the bug persists so I can escalate this further. :slight_smile:

I believe I got the same issue as @artu72 - nothing happened when I hit the Google Drive button in the welcome screen. My default browser is also Firefox. If I remove /usr/lib/insync/, the Google Drive button opens the login page in Firefox as expected. Below I will describe my findings in details.

First, I ran strace to see what happened when Insync attempted to run Firefox. The following lines are suspicious:

[pid  2843] write(2, "XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /usr/lib/firefox/\n/usr/lib/firefox/ undefined symbol: FT_Palette_Select\n", 121) = 121
[pid  2843] write(2, "Couldn't load XPCOM.\n", 21) = 21

FT_Palette_Select is a new function in freetype 2.10.0 [1]. Maybe /usr/lib/insync/ is too old.

System information:
Arch Linux x86_64
Both freetype2 2.10.1-1 and firefox 68.0.2-1 are installed via pacman, the default package manager of Arch Linux.


Same issue in openSUSE Tumbleweed. It’s not related with Google API.

Just yestarday I installed the app via Fedora repository and simply I couldn’t login in Google. Doing a lot of clicks in the Google Drive button doesn’t anything, same thing with One Drive button. Both buttons should launch the respective auth pages but simply Firefox is never called.

I had a similar issue. What desktop are you on? For me, a temporary workaround was to install a different desktop environment (LXDE) just to activate the new login. There’s an issue with opening links from KDE/Plasma. Links from the app still don’t work, but at least the sync does.

Hey guys, sorry for the trouble. This is a known issue and our engineers are working to deploy the fix asap. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here Insync searched the local file system for instead of qt5_plugins/. Specifying the latter folder with QT_QPA_PLATFORM_PLUGIN_PATH seems to do the trick, for example by adding it to the launcher script /usr/bin/insync:

cd /usr/lib/insync
LC_TIME=C QT_QPA_PLATFORM_PLUGIN_PATH=/usr/lib/insync/qt5_plugins exec ./insync "$@"

In my case this trick does not work… :thinking:

Same problem, I’m using Debian (testing/bullseye) with Plasma (KDE). My default browser is also Firefox but i switched between Chromium and Konqueror and the issue persist.

Then i tried to use the “Alternative login” option from the Insync client, but is not available yet.

1 Like

I have a similar problem… but… I have Fedora 30 with KDE runing on my notebook. There are two users, me and my wife. I have no problem with Insync 3 at all in my session… and my wife is stucked on opening the browser to connect to Google Drive… Isn’t it curious that on the same machine and same system two users have different insync problem?


Version 3.0.16 fixes the issue for me - without workarounds.

Thanks for the update!

1 Like

Great to hear it’s working now, @Chih-Hsuan_Yen!! :slight_smile: Shoot us an email at for any app issues.

Well, I confirm that the browser now is launched properly. But, in this moment, I cannot activate insync since, after logged in Google, it replies with “Connecting to Insync…” and nothing happens. Is it a insync site problem? Otherwise, the culprit could be my company firewall.

1 Like

So, the only one bug fix is to enable the buttons to launch the browser, but still there are another issues.

Are you on Linux OpenSUSE? Are you seeing connecting to Insync on your app?

I am on Fedora 30. I see the “Connecting to Insync” as in the screenshot, but nothing happens.

The same @artu72’s issue happens to me in openSUSE TW. connecting to Insync message is seen in the web browser.

1 Like

This is a known issue on OpenSUSE. We’ve replicated it and currently prioritizing on resolving it.

1 Like

Hi @artu72 we may need to investigate this further. Can you send in your logs as well as your out.txt file to We were able to replicate it in OpenSUSE but not in Fedora so your logs will really help in investigation.

1 Like

Hey guys, thanks for the patience! Our awesome guy @Kurt_Ko has provided a workaround for this issue, which should work for all affected OpenSUSE users experencing Connecting to Insync.

Please run:

sudo mkdir -p /etc/pki/tls/certs
sudo ln -s /etc/ssl/ca-bundle.pem /etc/pki/tls/certs/ca-bundle.crt

Afterwards, try adding the account on v3.0.16 again.