InSync crashes trying to sync some large files (RESOLVED on v3.2.9)

Constant crashing when trying to sync some large files (downloading), can be reproduced almost every time from some cloud directories.

It only seems to happen with bigger files – not sure if it’s a size thing or just an issue that would always happen on any size file if it ran long enough, but that’s the pattern.

The other idiosyncrasy is that it doesn’t happen with all sync sources, or at least not all the time. Some cloud directories always seem to be an issue, others with equally large files I haven’t seen it happen. It happens on different GSuite accounts though.

Bug Description:
When InSync starts up it loads the queued file list, starts downloading, and after a few GB of all the queued files it seems to give up and “crash”. I say crash in quotes because it doesn’t actually hang, the interface just glitches out, file syncing stops, and a little red error flag goes up in the tray icon. I can’t actually read the error because the UI is broken at that point:

Edit: another view, it just flickers those boxes around when you move the mouse:

Usually you can quit InSync from the Tray context menu, sometimes you have to kill the process.

My workaround is to sync one file at a time, wait for it to finish, then start the next, etc. Seems like if I spread the workload out it doesn’t choke. Not a lot of fun when I’ve got dozens or hundreds of files to do this way.

InSync is up to date, but this has happened pretty regularly in all 3.0 builds I’ve used. Windows 1909.

2 Likes

Hi @fifthlegion,

Thank you so much for the report! We have received similar reports about this and have escalated this issue to our engineers.

PS-- I edited your post to hide the link to your log files for security purposes. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have the exact same problem. Syncing some multi-gig files, and it freezes. I have a fiber connection as well, and I can see the network usage hitting 600-700 Mb/s until the program seems to freeze, and network usage plummets to nil, and then eventually the tray icon disappears. I will be switching back to google backup & sync until this is resolved.

1 Like

I have the same problem too. Other than this issue, InSync is the exact app I was finding for. Wish this gets solved soon(desperately)

1 Like

I think this is due to memory limitation of 32bit software. The software always fail when it hits around 3.8GB of memory usage. I think this happens when you download multiple large files. Solution to this could be making a 64bit version InSync or make a option to limit the number of downloading files at once.

Yeah. I am desperate as well.

Hi @Ben_Hanan @miyakesh!

I’m terribly sorry for this trouble. Could you please send your latest logs to support@insynchq.com and include the following files in the folder:

• logs.db
  • out.txt
  • data folder
  • live folder

If these are too big for an attachment, feel free to send us a link so we can download these. Please include a link to this post for easy reference. Thank you!

Any updates on this?

@Ben_Hanan – bug seems to be unchanged for me so I’ve transitioned to using another tool called GoodSync for large file syncing. It’s not a direct replacement for InSync but at least I can get big files downloaded to custom locations and leave more general purpose / small files to InSync while it’s broken.

Jan 3rd 2022

Hello, Joined forum to find a solution to this crash. I have the same issue when trying to sync large amounts of photos/phone videos. I also see it crash around the 3.8GB range in memory usage. Only workaround is to ‘end task’ in task manager and start again. Very annoying when trying to sync the account for the first time. In the trial phase of this software and find it odd that there isn’t a 64bit version of it. Any attention to a solution would be greatly appreciated. Running version 3.7.0.50216.
The bug came back or was never resolved.

1 Like

Hi @icarus747!

Thanks very much for reaching out. Could you please email the following files to support@insynchq.com (and look for me, Mia):

• logs.db
  • out.txt

Depending on your OS, you can find those two (2) files via these paths:

• Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/Insync
  • Windows: Search for %AppData%\Insync
  • Linux: ~/.config/Insync

We’ll check what’s triggering the crash when syncing large files. By the way, do you see any visible error messages in-app?