Insync does not install on Slackware 14.2

I’ve been an Insync user for a long time, using Ubuntu mostly. But now I need it on a Slackware 14.2 machine, and the installers available do not seem to work. Using the bionic package, I get the error

$ insync
[13099] Error loading Python lib ‘/usr/lib64/insync/libpython3.7m.so.1.0’: dlopen: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.25’ not found (required by /usr/lib64/insync/libpython3.7m.so.1.0)

My interpretation of this is the compile is being done on a different version of glibc. I had a previous trick to get out of this, which was to install the Mint 18.x version (Xenial). Sadly, this is now broken as well:

$ insync
** (process:15892): WARNING **: Failed to load shared library ‘libnotify.so.4’ referenced by the typelib: /usr/lib64/insync/libz.so.1: version `ZLIB_1.2.9’ not found (required by /usr/lib64/…/lib64/libpng16.so.16)

So I assume asking to open source Insync will get me nowhere, but are there any helpful suggestions?

I got it working using Insync Slackbuild for 14.2 with Insync xenial package.
Just update insync.SlackBuild script with the correct DEBNAM and VERSION then you must change the line from ‘sed -i ‘s/lib/lib64/’ $PKG/usr/bin/{insync,insync-headless}’ to ‘sed -i ‘s/lib/lib64/’ $PKG/usr/bin/insync’.
I am on Slackware Current.

Ok - gotten it installed following your suggestion (not sure what was happening before…). I still get the error around zlib not being found (when starting from the terminal), but it does start and appears to sync.

Since you are on Slackware as well, have you ever seen errors in the feed that look like:

AddLocalGDItem
UnicodeEncodeError
‘latin-1’ codec can’t encode character ‘“’ in position 263: ordinal not in range(256)

Does Slackware use some unusual encoding? This doesn’t happen to me on Ubuntu variations.

Hi @Christopher_Duston

Slackware probably uses a non utf-8 encoding as the default, switching to a utf-8 encoding should fix the error

This appears to be the problem! When I start from the command line

LANG=nl_NL.UTF-8 insync

It runs without error. Now, where does the system start insync by default? I’d rather not set that everywhere.

1 Like

Are you using a desktop manager on your Slackware setup or headless? Are you on 14.2 Stable or Current?

Mine is fully updated Slackware Current with KDE as my desktop manager, and Insync runs perfectly in KDE without issues.