Insync Duplicating Files

I seem to be getting a lot of issues where the same file gets copied many times to my drive and each time another (2) gets added to the file name. Any ideas what’s going on here?

Myfile(2).xml
Myfile(2)(2).xml
Myfile(2)(2)(2).xml
Myfile(2)(2)(2)(2).xml
Myfile(2)(2)(2)(2)(2).xml
Myfile(2)(2)(2)(2)(2)(2).xml
Myfile(2)(2)(2)(2)(2)(2)(2).xml
Myfile(2)(2)(2)(2)(2)(2)(2)(2).xml

I have a dual boot machine running windows 11 and linux syncing to the same drive, is this the reason I’m getting duplicated files?

For the most part things are working well, it seems like random files that I haven’t accessed in ages that are getting the duplications.

Hi @dostler,

My apologies for the huge trouble! We’ve received a couple of duplication reports on a dual boot setup and we would like to investigate this further.

Please do send your logs to support@insynchq.com from both OSes after Insync is closed, and include the following:

• logs.db
  • out.txt
  • data folder
  • live folder

If these are too big for an attachment, feel free to upload the files in the cloud and send us a shared link so we can download these.

@dostler, I’ve had this issues for a long time. In the end, it seems things improve a lot if you avoid suspending the computers and always go for full shutdown: see Duplicates (again) [dual boot setup]

1 Like

Will you please tell me how to find these files on linux and windows?

Thanks for the tip! I’ll steer away from suspend until the issue is fixed.

1 Like

@dostler Surely! :slight_smile:

On Linux, these files should be in ~/.config/Insync
On Windows, search for %AppData%\Insync to pull up where your logs are located :slight_smile:

Hi there,
my Insync got weird suddenly. Everything was working fine in the past months (years actually), but now I have multi-duplicates… like, files being duplicated thousand of times and really fast…

Can anyone help me with this?

PS. I have been using Insync for 3 years now, so I know some basic issues that may happen, but this is new for me (at this scale, I mean).
I am using:
VoidLinux (6.1.9_1)
Insync: 3.8.4.50481
Accounts Connected: Onedrive Business; Google Drive; Dropbox
Thanks

Hi @Geferson_Lucatelli!

Could you please confirm if you’re using any other sync apps at the same time as Insync?

Please also send your log files to support@insynchq.com with the link to this post. We would need the ff:

• logs.db
  • out.txt
  • data folder
  • live folder

You may follow the instructions here to locate these files: https://help.insynchq.com/en/articles/1834816-locating-the-log-files

HI @mia, thanks for your reply. I use Insync to sync the Onedrive directory on my Linux and the Onedrive App to sync the same directory on my Mac, but I do not use both devices at the same time.
What may be the origin of the issue is my pCloud drive mounted on my linux, where I have added the folder I sync to it. (so three sync services connected to the same folder, yeah that is crazy).
I am sending you the logs.
Cheers
Geferson

1 Like

Thank you! I have responded to your email as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi I’m also getting the same Issue, although for me it is duplicating Image Files. Personally I am using a Setup of 2 WIndows 11 PCs using the official OneDrive Client and one Linux PC running Insync

Insync, Linux, OneDrive Client and Windows are all on the latest Versions

Hello, @uwu_peter!

My apologies for the trouble. Could you please send the following to support@insynchq.com:

• logs.db
  • out.txt

These are in ~/.config/Insync. Kindly include the file names of some of the affected image files so we can check that in the logs. Do the duplicate files have a (2) numerical suffix?

Hello @mia,

I have sent the File List, logs.db and out.txt per Email, yes the affected files all have the (2) suffix, that is a space followed by a (2)

I have recently setup a PC and decided to freshly install Insync and let it re-download my entire OneDrive and so far have not seen any duplicated files on there, the File List, logs.db and out.txt therefore came from my laptop. Both run EndeavourOS and are up-to-date.

As a side note that I noticed as well: I’ve been dealing with those duplicated files for a while now, deleting the duplicated file will also delete the original and vice-versa, so what I previously did was delete the original File, wait for the duplicated file to vanish from the Folder, press Ctrl+Z to bring the original back

1 Like

Thank you @uwu_peter. I have received the logs + more details on the duplicated files, and noted on the specific behavior where the original copy gets deleted as well.

I wonder if the matching logic is affected by the failure to sync the CreatedDate to FileSystemInfo (that I reported).

Hello! A quick update on this issue:

• The duplicates only happen locally (no duplications in the cloud)
  • The logs did not reveal any indication as to why those files got duplicated :frowning:

The user will circle back to us to re-open the investigation should any of the above behaviors happen on their new PC. Thank you!

Sorry but I just noticed the same happening with 2 Images on my New PC now.

I have also linked a Recording/Replay showing the behavior of how Insync deletes the Duplicate File if the original one get’s deleted by the User.

Hi @uwu_peter!

I am so sorry for the persistent issue. Please do collect your latest logs.db and out.txt files after closing Insync, and email it to support@insynchq.com with the link to this post. You can reply to our previous email thread so we can pick up from our last point of contact.

When emailing the logs, could you also include the recording/replay you posted here? It seems like it’s not loading on this webpage. Apologies!