Insync not autostarting (KDE Wayland - openSuse TW)

Hello, I’m using this version of Insync:

Version : 3.7.9.50368-fc36

On openSuse Tumbleweed running KDE under Wayland:

Operating System: openSUSE Tumbleweed 20220706
KDE Plasma Version: 5.25.2
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.95.0
Qt Version: 5.15.5
Kernel Version: 5.18.9-1-default (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: Wayland
Processors: 8 × 11th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz
Memory: 15,4 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® Xe Graphics
Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
Product Name: XPS 13 9305

Insync won’t auto-start, even if in the app settings I have checked the relevant option (first option).

I have even unchecked + re-checked it, but still no tray icon to be seen.

Could you please help?

Ok, after checking better, this seems to be due to the fact that I had to change my .desktop file for insync in order to have KDE display its tray icon under a Wayland session, by prefixing QT_QPA_PLATFORM=xcb to the insync start command (as previously advised by Insync tech support).

Since I have a similar “hack” in place also for Firefox, I have tested autostarting Firefox’s .desktop file, and got the same result, i.e. KDE does not autostart it.

Other apps (dolphin, but also 3rd parties) autostart just fine, so I suspect that autostart of apps is broken in KDE right now, if the command contains some env var override in the .desktop file. I guess I’ll report a bug on the KDE tracker.

The workaround for me meanwhile is to revert the .desktop file for insync to just run “insync start”, at least this way it auto-starts and handles my cloud files - although no tray icon is visible, the process is showing up in System Monitor.

1 Like

Hi @Andrea_Ippolito,

Thank you for sharing more information on the issue! There seems to be an ongoing tray icon issue for users on KDE and I’ve forwarded this issue to our Linux Team.