Insync-Onedrive periodically low or 0 upload

So this is a huge issue I am currently evaluating Insync but it seems that it doesnt do as good of a job I hoped it would and because of that I am not sure if it would make sense to proceed with a purchase.

I mean I have a 300GB (spread across a few thousand files but the ratio between small files and big above 10MB files is about 50-50)

Now there are times when it is working fine saturating my full 3.5MiB/s upload speed

but then it has this gaps (that are not caused by e.g one big file finishing and a new file starting uploading… while 0 of the files in uploading progress has reached 100% and still are uploading the upload traffic falls down close to or exactly 0… and its not a network issue I can manually upload files to servers at 100% upload speed for prolonged timeframes have done that before…

Also other times it seems to be stuck? the UI is responsive though and the back up doesnt seem to be paused…

and other times that it does upload something but the total bandwidth it uses is low (like swinging between 300 KiB/s and 1MiB/s) …

I mean I can understand the issue is it transfers small files but why not transfer more of them instead of like e.g 3 at a time?

I tried setting niceness to the QT environment and the program it self to high but nothing (12thread 6 core intel 7th gen cpu 4,1Ghz max speed)

Theoretically (at 3.5 MiB/s) it should upload about 126 GiB within 10 hours I hoped (due to small files being involved too ) that it would upload like at least about 70GiB… but it barely uploaded 45 GB to onedrive within the past 10 hours :confused:

I mean at this rate instead of finishing my backup in less than two days I need now to reserve traffic and laptop usage for more than 4 days … I mean basically it would be faster to like make an iso and upload it my self manually without the use of insync…

I have a premium 1TB subscription to onedrive and the computer is wired using a lan cable.

Ubuntu version 20.04.1 lts & up to date kernel 5.15.0-57 gnome version 42.5 window system x11 laptop model Acer Predator PH317-52 16gb ram Intel® Core™ i7-8750H

1 Like

Hey @Bill_Killernic – thank you so much for posting this! I have received similar reports regarding slow uploads/downloads (and Insync not maximizing the available bandwidth).

I’m hoping to better collect reports so with that in mind, may I know if you’ve forwarded your log files to support@insynchq.com? If not, please do send your logs after Insync is closed and include the following files in the folder:

• logs.db
  • out.txt
  • data folder
  • live folder

These are found in ~/.config/Insync. If these are too big for an attachment, feel free to upload the files in the cloud and send us a shared link so we can download these.