Insync only doing partial syncs on startup

I’ve recently noticed a strange thing, on several of different computers now, running linux mint 20. It goes like this. Boot the computer. Log in. Insync stars up normally. Watch the tray icon and wait until it turn green (green checkmark). This means its done doing. the initial sync. Now click on the icon to open the app window. Click on “pause syncing” and then “resume syncing”. Then immediately go over to the right side of the window and click on the blue “^ scanning” field so the update progress window opens. There should be nothing showing up here in terms of new files, but I see scads of files now appearing in a list being synced. How can that be? This means that those files did not sync initially when insync first started up. I now see this happening daily. And SOMETIMES I can repeat it after the first time finishes and see more files being synced that were not synced the first time I manually forced it to sync. This is a big deal because it means files are not being synced automatically in many cases at startup and must be manually force-synced by the user.

Hi @bnpndxtr01,

Thank you for bringing this up. Resuming sync after a paused state triggers a complete re-scan, which means Insync will go over the files and folders.

But in your case, from what I understand it would suddenly would go from “Scanning” to “Syncing” and listing files in the progress and showing “downloading” or “uploading”, correct?

I tried to send you an email with a video to help explain (didn’t want to post that here). Let me know if you don’t get the email.

Sorry if I was not that clear. So I started noticing that files from my desktop were not being synced to my laptop, and visa versa. There was no real pattern to it that I could see, but what I did notice was that it appeared that in many cases the “initial complete re-scan and sync” that occurs on initial system startup/login was not capturing all files that changed since the last time the system was shut down. So then I started trying experiments and was able to see the following type of behavior. In each case I would first intentionally change files on the 1st computer (either the desktop of laptop respectively), and then shut that system down after the cloud sync was done (i/e/ tray icon green for some time).
Then after 10 minutes or so I’d start the 2nd computer. So here is what I can repeatably see happen:

Boot the system (2nd computer)
observe insync starting up
wait for the tray icon to turn blue (rescan in progress)
wait for tray icon to turn green (rescan and sync complete)

At this point, without making any changes to anything on the computer, if I open the insyc app window, pause the sync and then immediately restart the sync, suddenly a large number of files appear in sync progress window and are only now being synced/downloaded from the cloud. So all of these files were missed during the initial auto scan after power up. Then in many cases after this forced re-scan completes, I can even do it once more and see additional files that were missed again.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing the steps you did to replicate this error, @bnpndxtr01!

I’ll refer to your email for that video and test if this can be replicated on our end.

EDIT: responded to your email and have requested for log files from the computer that downloaded the changes. :slight_smile:

Sorry, I never saw an email so I’m just now seeing this. Did it bounce? Did you receive the video I sent (i wasn’t sure the email reached you)? Do I need to send logfiles just after I do the operation I described above, or does it matter?

@bnpndxtr01 I got your email about the video and that was the same thread I replied to and it didn’t seem to have bounced. Can you check your Spam?

In any case, this is what I sent:

Hi Brian,

Indeed it seems to be an issue and I agree that it can be worrisome because one would expect all remote changes to be synced down to your computer once you start Insync and let it scan.

Could you send the logs.db, out.txt, data folder, and live folder for the computer that was used to test the behavior? To locate your logs, please click the 3 dots on the upper right > Help > Open log. You may upload it in the cloud and send me a shared link if it’s too big as an attachment.

Also, could you confirm what your OSes are for each machine and if you’re running v3.3.3 on both? Thank you! :slight_smile:

Re logs: yes-- please send it just after performing the operation you described above!

Sorry- I am still not seeing notifications for new posts on this topic. Anyway the 3.3.4 update made no difference. I saved some logfiles shortly after running the test again described above and sent via email. let me know if you didn’t receive them.

thanks-
Brian

1 Like

Got them and responded to your email!

I’ve been monitoring this after insync version updates, and it never improves. There is no way to avoid doing a manual sync initially, because insync misses most/all changed files on the first sync after the app starts up. I see this on multiple computers. I can’t believe others are not seeing this. I will say that if you don’t go looking for this issue, then you may never notice it unless to happen to see that your files are out of sync and you lose data. That is how I noticed it. There is no other indication there is a problem other than if you run a manual sync right after the first initial automatic full sync finishes, you see scads of additional files that suddenly get synced.

This issue has continued to happen for years now. Will it ever be fixed? I’ve struggled with this issue on EVERY system I’ve used insync on. Since I’ve posted last, it has happened on 2 new laptop installations, 1 new desktop. Make no difference if using rotating or SSD hard drives- problem occurs the same.

The only common thread on all systems over the years is they are Linux Mint based systems.

It’s so frustrating to never be able to trust this application. Iv’e sent logs, and I think even videos to Insync about it to demonstrate what I see and it never gets fixed. It is astounding to me that others are not reporting this issue.

@bnpndxtr01 My apologies for the persistent issue you have been facing! I have alerted our Linux Team regarding this and we are going to investigate accordingly. Let me update you if we need further information from your end