Insync start in terminal silently fails (arch)

I have no problems on the machine with a GUI loaded (KDE Plasma is set to autostart insync). However, if I boot the machine and only log into a console (e.g. with ssh), ‘insync start’ silently fails.

Doing the same thing with a PopOS host, ‘insync start’ is silently successful - the insync process starts up in the ssh session and gets to work.

I’m a little surprised at the lack of any error information. Is there a human-readable log that exists somewhere?

Hello @philstopford! Could you run insync start --no-daemon when you’re logging into the console and then send the output here?

[phil@hex ~]$ insync start --no-daemon
qt.qpa.xcb: could not connect to display
qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin “xcb” in “” even though it was found.
This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, vnc, wayland-egl, wayland, wayland-xcomposite-egl, wayland-xcomposite-glx, webgl, xcb.

Aborted (core dumped)

Could you try DISPLAY=:0 QT_DEBUG_PLUGINS=1 insync start --no-daemon?

[phil@hex ~]$ DISPLAY=:0 QT_DEBUG_PLUGINS=1 insync start --no-daemon
QFactoryLoader::QFactoryLoader() checking directory path "/usr/lib/insync/PySide2/plugins/platforms" ...
QFactoryLoader::QFactoryLoader() looking at "/usr/lib/insync/PySide2/plugins/platforms/libqeglfs.so"
Found metadata in lib /usr/lib/insync/PySide2/plugins/platforms/libqeglfs.so, metadata=
{
    "IID": "org.qt-project.Qt.QPA.QPlatformIntegrationFactoryInterface.5.3",
    "MetaData": {
        "Keys": [
            "eglfs"
        ]
    },
    "archreq": 0,
    "className": "QEglFSIntegrationPlugin",
    "debug": false,
    "version": 330752
}

Got keys from plugin meta data ("eglfs")
QFactoryLoader::QFactoryLoader() looking at "/usr/lib/insync/PySide2/plugins/platforms/libqlinuxfb.so"
Found metadata in lib /usr/lib/insync/PySide2/plugins/platforms/libqlinuxfb.so, metadata=
{
            "linuxfb"
        ]
    },
    "className": "QLinuxFbIntegrationPlugin",
}

Got keys from plugin meta data ("linuxfb")
QFactoryLoader::QFactoryLoader() looking at "/usr/lib/insync/PySide2/plugins/platforms/libqminimal.so"
Found metadata in lib /usr/lib/insync/PySide2/plugins/platforms/libqminimal.so, metadata=
{
            "minimal"
        ]
    },
    "className": "QMinimalIntegrationPlugin",
}

Got keys from plugin meta data ("minimal")
QFactoryLoader::QFactoryLoader() looking at "/usr/lib/insync/PySide2/plugins/platforms/libqminimalegl.so"
Found metadata in lib /usr/lib/insync/PySide2/plugins/platforms/libqminimalegl.so, metadata=
{
            "minimalegl"
        ]
    },
    "className": "QMinimalEglIntegrationPlugin",
}

Got keys from plugin meta data ("minimalegl")
QFactoryLoader::QFactoryLoader() looking at "/usr/lib/insync/PySide2/plugins/platforms/libqoffscreen.so"
Found metadata in lib /usr/lib/insync/PySide2/plugins/platforms/libqoffscreen.so, metadata=
{
            "offscreen"
        ]
    },
    "className": "QOffscreenIntegrationPlugin",
}

Got keys from plugin meta data ("offscreen")
QFactoryLoader::QFactoryLoader() looking at "/usr/lib/insync/PySide2/plugins/platforms/libqvnc.so"
Found metadata in lib /usr/lib/insync/PySide2/plugins/platforms/libqvnc.so, metadata=
{
            "vnc"
        ]
    },
    "className": "QVncIntegrationPlugin",
}

Got keys from plugin meta data ("vnc")
QFactoryLoader::QFactoryLoader() looking at "/usr/lib/insync/PySide2/plugins/platforms/libqwayland-egl.so"
Found metadata in lib /usr/lib/insync/PySide2/plugins/platforms/libqwayland-egl.so, metadata=
{
            "wayland-egl"
        ]
    },
    "className": "QWaylandEglPlatformIntegrationPlugin",
}

Got keys from plugin meta data ("wayland-egl")
QFactoryLoader::QFactoryLoader() looking at "/usr/lib/insync/PySide2/plugins/platforms/libqwayland-generic.so"
Found metadata in lib /usr/lib/insync/PySide2/plugins/platforms/libqwayland-generic.so, metadata=
{
            "wayland"
        ]
    },
    "className": "QWaylandIntegrationPlugin",
}

Got keys from plugin meta data ("wayland")
QFactoryLoader::QFactoryLoader() looking at "/usr/lib/insync/PySide2/plugins/platforms/libqwayland-xcomposite-egl.so"
Found metadata in lib /usr/lib/insync/PySide2/plugins/platforms/libqwayland-xcomposite-egl.so, metadata=
{
            "wayland-xcomposite-egl"
        ]
    },
    "className": "QWaylandXCompositeEglPlatformIntegrationPlugin",
}

Got keys from plugin meta data ("wayland-xcomposite-egl")
QFactoryLoader::QFactoryLoader() looking at "/usr/lib/insync/PySide2/plugins/platforms/libqwayland-xcomposite-glx.so"
Found metadata in lib /usr/lib/insync/PySide2/plugins/platforms/libqwayland-xcomposite-glx.so, metadata=
{
            "wayland-xcomposite-glx"
        ]
    },
    "className": "QWaylandXCompositeGlxPlatformIntegrationPlugin",
}

Got keys from plugin meta data ("wayland-xcomposite-glx")
QFactoryLoader::QFactoryLoader() looking at "/usr/lib/insync/PySide2/plugins/platforms/libqwebgl.so"
Found metadata in lib /usr/lib/insync/PySide2/plugins/platforms/libqwebgl.so, metadata=
{
            "webgl"
        ]
    },
    "className": "QWebGLIntegrationPlugin",
}

Got keys from plugin meta data ("webgl")
QFactoryLoader::QFactoryLoader() looking at "/usr/lib/insync/PySide2/plugins/platforms/libqxcb.so"
Found metadata in lib /usr/lib/insync/PySide2/plugins/platforms/libqxcb.so, metadata=
{
            "xcb"
        ]
    },
    "className": "QXcbIntegrationPlugin",
}

Got keys from plugin meta data ("xcb")
QFactoryLoader::QFactoryLoader() checking directory path "/usr/lib/insync/platforms" ...
loaded library "/usr/lib/insync/PySide2/plugins/platforms/libqxcb.so"
Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
qt.qpa.xcb: could not connect to display :0
qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even though it was found.
This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, vnc, wayland-egl, wayland, wayland-xcomposite-egl, wayland-xcomposite-glx, webgl, xcb.

Aborted (core dumped)

I should note that this is in a console over SSH. There’s no X11 display at this point. It sounded like this ought to work, though, from the product description.

Let me forward this to our Linux team and I’ll get back to you accordingly :slight_smile: Thank you @philstopford!

Just wondering whether there was any news here. Perhaps I simply misunderstood the site, or this could/should work with a little more effort on my side?

Apologies for the delays @philstopford! Let me ping our engineer once again.

Hi @philstopford

Can you send us the output of env | grep DISPLAY ?

This returns a blank line for me when connecting via SSH.

[phil@darkwing ~]$ ssh venom.local 
Last login: Tue Aug  1 11:22:28 2023 from 192.168.4.32
[phil@venom ~]$ env | grep DISPLAY
[phil@venom ~]$
1 Like

Hi @philstopford

Can you send us the output of ls -alh /tmp/.X11-unix ?

I should note that this is in a console over SSH. There’s no X11 display at this point. It sounded like this ought to work, though, from the product description.

Does the machine you are SSH’ing into have a GUI ? It may be throwing that error as the machine doesn’t have any GUI running (X11)

There’s no GUI, no. It could run a GUI, but that requires logging in over and above SSH itself. Based on the mention of ‘Command Line Syncing for Linux.’ in the feature list, it seemed like this ought to work without any form of GUI.

With reference to (https://help.insynchq.com/en/articles/7986271-pricing-insync-desktop-version):

What do you mean by “command line syncing for Linux”?

This means that the Desktop version supports command line interface (CLI) for Linux users who are not utilizing a server. The prerequisites are as follows:

Download the Desktop build from here.

Install and setup

Run insync start on your command line and ta-dah! You can now sync your files via CLI.

Hi @philstopford

Oh I see. What we mean by that is our desktop build still requires a GUI to be running and while it’s running you can sync your files using CLI commands. We’ll update the doc above for more clarity and consider supporting your use case in the future

Thanks!

1 Like

Any news on this, to have a possibility of true headless without the subscription model (I have had so many vendors drop their products under this rental model and I end up with a broken workflow, that I cannot support it any more)?