Insync too unreliable - resyncs for no reason and deletes huge numbers of files

I have used insync (subscription version) for a couple of years and when it works OK it is really excellent. I have several computers with both windows 10 and Linux (several different distros) and need to sync to Google Drive with both operating systems. But several times now, I have had serious and unexplained data losses - in two cases up to 30 Gbs of files completely deleted without any reason as far as I could see.

This necessitated lengthy conversations with a Google tech. rep. who was able to recover the files for me (not found in the bin). It is pretty embarrassing to have to ask one of their reps to help when it is not even their fault. This last time they gave me quite a severe warning about using third party sync software and threatened not to help next time.

Insync engineers seemed none the wiser. I am happy to send logs for analysis when this happens but now they are asking for whole folders. Even compressed these are in the 10s of Gb and too big for anything other than as a shared folder via google drive. I just have not got the time or energy to go through this every time data disappears - let alone the anxiety of thinking i have lost everything.

Now Insync has started resyncing existing folders that have not been touched in months. Yesterday I saw it resyncing over 500 files from a folder that had not even been opened in nearly a year!

I have really lost confidence in this product now. Can anyone help with any other software that can sync both Win 10 and Linux OS to Google Drive? Happy to try anything on a trial PC. (I am now making a daily backup of the insync folders on my “mission critical” PC to an external drive and have stopped it syncing via Insync.)

1 Like