Insync v1.5 or v3 for a New User?

I’ve been running Insync 1.5.7 for many years (Windows, v10 currently). I now have a co-worker that has never had Insync installed (also Windows 10). Can you please suggest what I should consider when deciding which version of Insync to install for the co-worker? v1.5 vs v3? This co-worker currently has Google Drive installed, but never Insync.

And, if I go with v3 for this new user and decide later to downgrade to v1.5, will the v3 to v1.5 downgrade instructions published work even through v1.5 was never previously installed?

Hi @Jeff_S :slight_smile:

The things to consider depends on your workflow, but ultimately, Insync 3 has features not offered in Insync 1.5.7 such as 1-way sync and local-to-cloud backup. Insync 3’s pricing plans also allow unlimited accounts (ie Personal or Developer plans) and transferability (Company plans).

If you were to consider 1.5.7, the main condition that would allow the new user to be able to downgrade from Insync 3 is if they have a legacy license (ie Prime, Teams, Pro, Business). If you are a legacy license holder and you want your co-worker to have a similar setup (for familiarity’s sake, perhaps), then you have the option to purchase the same license as yours via your dashboard.

If the user decides to downgrade, the downgrade instructions will still apply yes. However, note that in Insync 3, each Google Drive subset (My Drive, Shared with me, and Shared Drives) has its own separate sync folder. On Insync 1.x, there’s only one sync folder for My Drive and Shared with me, then a second one for Shared Drives.

So if the user was to downgrade, expect that the Shared with me files that were previously synced in Insync 3 would be unsynced on 1.5.7.