Is Insync Happy with Either Symbolic Links or Junctions?

Up until now, we’ve occasionally used Symbolic Links in some of our Insync folders. We’re now realizing that Junctions work better for our particular local system. I’ve run a few tests using Junctions in one or two of our Insync folders and Insync seems to be perfectly happy with either Symbolic Links or Junctions.

Can Insync officially recommend whether or not Junctions work OK?

Hey @Jeff_Salisbury!

Tagging our engineer @dipesh and he’ll get back to you. :slight_smile:

Bumping for an answer!

What are Junctions? First time I’ve heard that term in relation to filesystems.

POC, see this link:

@dipesh, are you there?

Hey @Jeff_Salisbury,

Insync supports symlinks and does this by syncing the files the symlink points to and not the symlink itself. If a symlink inside the Insync folder points to other files/folders within the Insync folder, they are simply ignored.

When a symlink inside the Insync folder is pointing to files / folders outside the Insync folder, then Insync syncs those files.

In regards to Junctions, I’m not exactly sure if they’re the same as symlinks and therefore can’t strongly recommend them.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions. :slight_smile:

@Jeff_Salisbury Insync does support junctions. In fact, when you do “Add to Insync” on a folder, if you do not provide admin privileges to InsyncCreateLink.exe (which creates a symlink), then Insync resorts to creating a junction.

Just a word of caution when you are using junctions, make sure you do not move a junction around or the folder containing it because it may convert the junction into a regular folder with contents of its target inside it while deleting the contents from the target folder. So, it may cause data loss.

We recommend using symlinks over junctions. Is there a specific reason that you want to use junctions?