Is it possible to upload into a Google Drive folder and remove the local copy?

Hi there,

I’m trying to replicate some functionality from Google Drive File Stream on macOS 10.12.6 onto CentOS 7.

On Google Drive File Stream on macOS 10.12.6, I can have a script drop an item into a Google Drive File Stream folder. The file will upload to Google Drive, but will remove the local copy, so as to not take up local disk space.

Is this workflow possible with Insync on CentOS 7?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, you let it sync from your computer to the cloud. Then you change the sync settings to not sync that file. It will remove it from your computer and will keep it in the cloud.

Thanks, Gabriel. Is there any way to set this up automatically for files going into particular folders? I’m trying to set up automatic backups, and it would be nice not to have to remember to manually set the files in this way–I don’t want to forget to do this and have my disk fill up.

It sounds like you are looking for software to replicate the main feature of Google Drive File Stream (GDFS). GDFS only works for users with a Google Apps email. GDFS is a virtual drive that creates virtual files. When they are read by your OS the drive downloads the file. When it is written GDFS will upload it and remove it from your computer automatically.

Yes, exactly. GDFS works the way that you’ve described, on macOS, but I’m wondering if I can use Insync to replicate this behavior on CentOS 7.