Is it worth it for me to change my licensing plan?

I’ve got two Prime accounts, and now I log in and see pressure to pay some difference to move to yep, yet another new licensing scheme.

As they say, this isn’t my first rodeo. Obviously I’m reflexively suspicious because everyone from Pushbullet to Trimble to Square Enix to Bethesda is always on the prowl to see how many more pennies can be squeezed out of their clients.

But, I cannot find a good feature comparison between the new scheme and Prime functionality. Is there existing functionality that is now behind a paywall (e.g., Pushbullet)? Will my Prime account be grandfathered in if I determine it is not in my interest to pay more money to continue using the same functionality (if there is feature parity)? And those sorts of questions.

The new licensing scheme is not something sinister. I’ve upgraded to a Developer plan, and this is what changed from my experience:

What I Got

• Unlimited accounts
  • One way sync capability

What I Lost

• Access to Google Shared Drives (which is an enterprise feature for organizations)
  • Access to Microsoft SharePoint shares (which is an enterprise feature for organizations)

What’s Unchanged

• Everything else.

From my point of view, enterprise shared drives are unnecessary (since all shared files were Google Documents anyway), and being able to link more accounts is a welcome change combined with one way sync. I personally think just paying the price difference is a kind touch.

Of course, that’s my personal point of view.

1 Like

@bayindirh I appreciate your detailed feedback on your license upgrade! :slight_smile:

@Auslander Hi! It seems like @bayindirh was able to address most (if not all) your questions. And yes, should you choose not to upgrade, Prime and Teams users are grandfathered.

Super helpful @bayindirh and @mia – thanks for the breakdown. Feel a bit more comfy making a decision now.

I’m glad! You’re more than welcome to share your thoughts here if something further comes up :slight_smile:

If I’m not mistaken, you also lose the following features when upgrading from Prime to Personal:

• Ignore rules
  • Syncing network drives
  • Syncing Shared with me files directly
  • Syncing Google Shared Drives & Microsoft SharePoint

Correct?

And I also find the marketing misleading. The mail I received, states:

“This summer happens to be the PERFECT time to upgrade your license because we’re giving away our Personal, Developer, and Company plans at 50% OFF for the next 4 days!

However, it seems that this ‘summer sale’ doesn’t bring any additional reduction for an upgrade from Prime to Developer. You by default already get a reduction of 29.99 because of the existing Prime plan (“UPGRADE” voucher) . You can remove this “UPGRADE” voucher and replace it with the “SUMMER” voucher, but then you get again 29.99 reduction. It seems not possible to combine these two vouchers. Hence… why would I upgrade now? I can basically do that at any time for the same price…

Using the “UPGRADE” voucher:

Using the “SUMMER” voucher: