Local selective sync is extremely dangerous, leading to unexpected file deletion

#1 Make an empty folder in your, in my case, google drive.
#2 Use “Local Selective Sync”, then “Sync under a folder” to sync the contents of folders to the cloud under the newly created empty folder.
#3 You now have a folder that, when looked at through windows explorer, looks empty, but if deleted will delete all the folders synced through it from your local machine and the cloud.

To make it even better, if you catch Isync deleting your files, making it stop is surprisingly difficult as you no longer have to folder to tell it to stop syncing.

1 Like

Hi @Rune_Nielsen,

Thank you for bringing this up. I tried to replicate this but I might have missed a step or two to fully understand the context of deleting the folder synced via Local Selective Sync. Would you mind sending me a screen recording to show the steps you took so I can re-test and forward to our engineer? You may send it to support@insynchq.com with the link to this post.

Thank you!

I have sent an email to support@insynchq.com going into more detail about the issue. Thank you for responding

1 Like

@Rune_Nielsen Got the email, no worries at all! I’ve forwarded this to our enigneers as per my email response :slight_smile: