Memory usage on the high?

The thing with memory usage though is that in the age of dynamic memory management and interpreted languages reported memory usage doesn’t necessarily mean all that much.

How many modern applications work nowadays is they will use as much memory as they need in order to run as performant as possible. But if the system indicates that it is running low on memory, they will release the memory back to the operating system so that whatever application actually needs it can use it.

571MB may seem like a lot, but I am syncing a lot of files and my system has 48GB of RAM in it. It may very well be that InSync uses several GB of RAM in order to run well, but that your system is not actually running less efficiently because of it – it’s likely that when the system is running short on memory, applications like InSync will run “garbage collection” and release memory back to the system.

Developers of InSync could force this “garbage collection” to happen, making InSync use less memory, but the performance penalties may be severe and there is almost certain to be no benefit to doing so.

TD;DR:

Don’t worry about what your task manager says the memory usage is, unless you are experiencing performance problems because of it.

1 Like

Wanted to share this truly impressive memory usage by InSync on the latest version of macOS.

Performance isn’t too bad but this MBP 16 is running quite hot. I’ve just restarted, we’ll see how quickly it starts ticking up again.

My apologies for the trouble @jacob2! Could you please also send your logs.db and out.txt files to support@insynchq.com with the link to this Forums post? For reference, here’s how you can find these 2 files: https://help.insynchq.com/en/articles/1834816-locating-the-log-files

The guide shows you how to find the logs via 1) the app UI and/or 2) Finder. Thank you!

my workaround is this:
insync quit
sudo pkill insync
sudo cgcreate -t $USER:$USER -a $USER:$USER -g memory:insyncmem
echo 3G > /sys/fs/cgroup/memory/insyncmem/memory.limit_in_bytes
cgexec -g memory:insyncmem insync start

reference:

1 Like

Thank you for sharing your workaround, @Alexandre_Cassimiro :slight_smile: We appreciate users like you!

1 Like