Missing indicator icon in Ubuntu 16.04 64bit

After a new install of Ubuntu 16.04 I installed insync but I miss the indicator app, while Nautilus integration is working and I get file in sync.
With 15.10 the indicator was here and working.
I need the indicator mostly because I need to switch between proxies and direct connections.

Any hint?
Regards
Giovanni

3 Likes

Forgot to mention installed version (last one)

$ dpkg-query -l insync
Voluto=U (non noto)/I (installato)/R (rimosso)/P (rimosso totale)/H (in attesa)
| Stato=Non/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(nessuno)/R (reinstallazione richiesta) (Stato,Err: maiuscolo=grave)
||/ Nome Versione Architettura Descrizione
++±==================================-======================-======================-==========================================================================
ii insync 1.3.7.36078-wheezy amd64 Google Drive sync and backup with multiple account support
$

I have the same issue (Ubuntu 16.04 64Bit).
It seems that Insync is running.

➜ ~ ps -ef | grep 'insync start' alex 11730 11081 0 23:15 pts/19 00:00:00 grep --color=auto --exclude-dir=.bzr --exclude-dir=CVS --exclude-dir=.git --exclude-dir=.hg --exclude-dir=.svn insync start

But no indicator.

Update:
For some reason now it works.

Can someone of the support team reply on this specifig bug please?
The missing indicator is a big bug from my point of view.
You need some debug or something else? Are you alive?

@merlos: Apologies for not replying sooner. Please try the steps given here: (LINUX) How to solve the issue "tray icon is not showing".

Perhaps you didn’t notice that the only hit you got on your query was the ‘grep’ command you were running?

I’m having this issue under Unity, and there is no ‘insync start’ process running.

Note: I downloaded and installed the Cinnamon desktop, and I can see the InSync icon in that desktop’s taskbar. I did try the steps outlined in the link provided by @lpugoy:

• sni-qt is already installed and at the most recent version
  • there is no ‘insync start’ process running, but there is a /opt/Druva/inSync/lib/inSync process
  • I do not have any crontab entries
  • I am using the recommended NVidia drivers

@lpugoy tried the steps on the link without success

sni-qt is not installed. Try installing it then restart Insync.

sni-qt is installed on my system
$ dpkg-query -l sni-qt
[…]
ii sni-qt:amd64 0.2.7+15.10. amd64 indicator support for Qt

In some cases, when Insync is set to run at startup the tray icon is not shown. To confirm that Insync is running but there’s no tray icon, run ps -ef | grep ‘insync start’; if there’s an output then Insync is running. In this case, try stopping then restarting Insync to see if the tray icon will show.

Insync is running (startup)
$ ps -ef | grep ‘insync start’
gmellini 2085 1266 1 19:08 ? 00:00:04 ./insync start

Check if there’s an entry in your crontab for Insync by running crontab -l. If there is one try removing it.

no crontab for insync
_$ crontab -l _
no crontab for gmellini

Lastly, sometimes an outdated video card driver could cause the tray icon to not show. Try updating your video card driver if possible and restart Insync.

The indicator used to show on the same hardware with Ubuntu 15.10
I reinstalled the whole system from scratch (16.04) and insync indicator is missing

In KDE Plasma 5 the XEmbed protocol was replaced with SNI, which caused legacy tray icons to not be shown. In this case try installing xembed-sni-proxy. (Thanks to Roman Gaevoy for this tip.)

I use Unity environment, and as I said before the indicator was here on Ubuntu 15.10 /w Unity

@lpugoy
I tried to see if the application log some interesting message, so I stopped it, cleaned the out.txt, started again and follow the output

~/.config/Insync$ /usr/lib/insync/insync quit
OK
~/.config/Insync$ /usr/lib/insync/insync get_status
Insync doesn’t seem to be running. Start it first.

~/.config/Insync$ > out.txt
~/.config/Insync$ /usr/lib/insync/insync start
~/.config/Insync$ /usr/lib/insync/insync get_status

~/.config/Insync$ cat out.txt
Fontconfig error: “/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf”, line 72: non-double matrix element
Fontconfig error: “/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf”, line 72: non-double matrix element
Fontconfig warning: “/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf”, line 80: saw unknown, expected number
/usr/lib/insync/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.20’ not found (required by /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libproxy.so.1)
Failed to load module: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gio/modules/libgiolibproxy.so

(insync:3260): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_dbus_connection_register_object: assertion ‘G_IS_DBUS_CONNECTION (connection)’ failed
(insync:3260): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_dbus_connection_register_object: assertion ‘G_IS_DBUS_CONNECTION (connection)’ failed
(insync:3260): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_dbus_connection_get_unique_name: assertion ‘G_IS_DBUS_CONNECTION (connection)’ failed
(insync:3260): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_dbus_connection_get_unique_name: assertion ‘G_IS_DBUS_CONNECTION (connection)’ failed
(insync:3260): IBUS-WARNING **: Unable to connect to ibus: Impossibile connettersi: File o directory non esistente
(insync:3260): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_widget_style_get: assertion ‘GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)’ failed
(insync:3260): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_widget_style_get: assertion ‘GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)’ failed

As you can see there is some error on the log file, some related to GTK
Hope this can help

@merlos: If you have the package appmenu-qt5 installed, please check if uninstalling it will work as a workaround.

@lpugoy I uninstalled the package as you can see

$ dpkg-query -l appmenu-qt5
rc appmenu-qt5 0.3.0+16.04. amd64 application menu for Qt5
$

Logged out/in and indicator still missing.
Also forced a stop/start from command line without success.

I did the same workaround for Ubuntu 16.04 64bits but no succeed. Did someone find the solution?

@lpugoy did you tested inSync with Ubutnu 16.04 and Unity?
As I said, I did a fresh install so I expect that you can see by yourself the problem and try to fix it

Hi,

In my case had this issue with Ubuntu Mate 16.04, I solved it installing “sni-qt” package as described here (LINUX) How to solve the issue “tray icon is not showing”

Thank you very much for the tip!! :smiley:

Regards!!

@acutbal is your distro 64bit?

I have this package installed and the indicator is missing

ii sni-qt:amd64 0.2.7+15.10. amd64

Yes, it’s ubuntu mate 64 bits, and the package installed is the same that yours.

@merlos: Yes, I tested on a fresh install as well. Could it be similar to this issue: Insync stopped working on Ubuntu Xenial Xerus 16.04 LTS? What is the output if you run insync start --no-daemon?

@lpugoy is not the issue you mentioned, as I said 2 or 3 times the indicator won’t apper at all and the CPU on my side is ok

The output from the command line is more or less the same as the above I already posted

MY_HOME_HERE@goblinshark:/usr/lib/insync$ ./insync start --no-daemon
Fontconfig warning: “/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf”, line 80: saw unknown, expected number
/usr/lib/insync/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.20’ not found (required by /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libproxy.so.1)
Failed to load module: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gio/modules/libgiolibproxy.so

(insync:4060): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_dbus_connection_register_object: assertion ‘G_IS_DBUS_CONNECTION (connection)’ failed

(insync:4060): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_dbus_connection_register_object: assertion ‘G_IS_DBUS_CONNECTION (connection)’ failed

(insync:4060): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_dbus_connection_get_unique_name: assertion ‘G_IS_DBUS_CONNECTION (connection)’ failed

(insync:4060): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_dbus_connection_get_unique_name: assertion ‘G_IS_DBUS_CONNECTION (connection)’ failed
INFO 2016-05-04 17:41:25,367 [init:info:1610] insync version: 1.3.7.36078
INFO 2016-05-04 17:41:25,369 [init:info:1610] client created <ideskmain.client.Client object at 0x4c08150>
INFO 2016-05-04 17:41:25,370 [init:info:1610] unix socket server thread start
INFO 2016-05-04 17:41:25,371 [init:info:1610] starting client
INFO 2016-05-04 17:41:25,378 [init:info:1610] LinuxFSWatcher._start
INFO 2016-05-04 17:41:25,380 [init:info:1610] Inotify loop enter

(insync:4060): IBUS-WARNING **: Unable to connect to ibus: Impossibile connettersi: File o directory non esistente
INFO 2016-05-04 17:41:25,450 [init:info:1610] Syncing GDUser(id=u’XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX’, email=u’MY_EMAIL_HERE@gmail.com’, name=u’MY_NAME_HERE’).
INFO 2016-05-04 17:41:25,732 [init:info:1610] watch origin: /home/MY_HOME_HERE/insync
INFO 2016-05-04 17:41:25,879 [init:info:1610] GDUser(id=u’XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX’, email=u’MY_EMAIL_HERE@gmail.com’, name=u’MY_NAME_HERE’) (existing) is now being synced.

(insync:4060): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_widget_style_get: assertion ‘GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)’ failed

(insync:4060): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_widget_style_get: assertion ‘GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)’ failed

So, again, how can I help debugging the issue I reported 10 days ago?
All the standard thing are ok, so you as developer must suggest something different.
Please work on this, is blocking and annoying and I paid for this app

Tks
Giovanni

After some private mail exchange with insync tech team we found the problem. I installed the last debian package (ii insync 1.3.7.36078-wheezy amd64) and this was the problem.
Uninstalling and installing specifig Ubuntu 14.04 restored the indicator icon
This is the right package:

insync_1.3.6.36076-trusty_amd64.deb

Just a quick line which may help others.
Insync worked great in Unity 14.04
Moved up to Xubuntu 16.04 - sporadic sync’ing - no applet.
Tried / tested all possible solutions here with some temporary success. Indicator always disappeared after reboot.
Decided to go back to Ubuntu 14.04 as I need insync, but installation failed for some reason.
Reformatted drive and put Xubuntu 16.04 back on - insync works seemlessly now.
Go figure

running “sudo insync start” worked for me (launched the GUI w/a new .db), but now I have 2 insync process’s running.