Moving to new machine leads to corrupted folder structure

Hi,

right now I’m moving Insync from a Ubuntu 20.04 to a 22.04 machine.

What I did

Syncing from the cloud would take ca. 2 weeks, if I guess from one day’s progress.

So, I did follow the instructions to move to a new machine without resyncing (purge Insync, remove .config/Insync, install Insync, copy over .config/Insync and base folder, start Insync).

However, right after syncing the second machine, both machines started to sync a lot of files.
Inspecting onedrive on the web browser, I see that duplicates of a lot of folders were created.

I kind of recovered by stopping Insync on all machines and recovering the onedrive state from before.

How to proceed?

I simply want to have Insync working and my files present on a new machine in a reasonable time.

• Any way to speed up the sync from the cloud?
  • I do not feel like trying to move the .config/Insync folder again, to be honest.
  • Can’t I just copy the files (i.e. my base folder) to the new machine an let Insync check if a file exists? Seems like in Insync 1.3 there was such a feature: File Matching is here! (New Insync version: 1.3.0)

Info:

• Insync version: 3.8.6.50504 (from Insync apt repo)
  • Cloud: Onedrive365
  • Machine: Ubuntu 20.04 and freshly installed 22.04

Hello @kasenn! My apologies for the big trouble you encountered upon moving to a new machine.

The instructions to move to a new machine involves the file-matching feature itself so I’m going to check with the engineers what steps to take next since you encountered duplicates. Just to check - were these duplicates only in the cloud or on the local folders too, eventually? Furthermore, are there any other syncing apps running at the time of the duplication issue?

Hi @mia

Thanks for the quick reply.

There were duplicates in the cloud and locally, but different ones.
The old machine had “folder”, “folder 1” and “folder (2)” as well as “otherFolder”, “otherFolder (2)” and “otherFolder (2) (2)”. In the cloud I mainly encountered “folder” and “folder 1”.

Sometimes one of the folders was empty.

Afterwards, I did a fresh sync from cloud on the new machine and the folder and folder 1 from cloud showed up there.

Insync is the only file sync service I did install.

I see. Could you let me know if deleting the folder 1 from the cloud also removes it locally?

Sorry, no, because I removed them locally. This also removed them in the cloud

No worries at all. Could you please send your logs.db and out.txt file to support@insynchq.com with the link to this post?

They should be in the ~/.config/Insync folder :slight_smile: