Nemo Integration on Ubuntu 14.04 Does Not Work

Insync installed and working normally on Ubuntu 14.04. Nemo integration does not work. I have installed insync-nemo and restarted nemo several times but the insync menu item does not show up in the right-click menu. Any assistance appreciated.

$ dpkg -l | grep insync
ii insync 1.2.6.35101-trusty amd64 Google Drive sync and backup with multiple account support
ii insync-nautilus 1.2.6.35101-precise all Google Drive sync and backup with multiple account support
ii insync-nemo

@korkuvi I have cc’d @lpugoy our Linux engineer. He will get back to you soon.

Thank you for your patience.

@korkuvi Does the output of dpkg -l | grep insync really doesn’t have a version info for insync-nemo? It might not have installed correctly. Could you paste here the output when trying to re-install insync-nemo?

@lpugoy My bad with the copy-and-paste. Here’s the dpkg -l output:

$ dpkg -l | grep insync
ii  insync                                                1.2.6.35101-trusty                                  amd64        Google Drive sync and backup with multiple account support
ii  insync-nautilus                                       1.2.6.35101-precise                                 all          Google Drive sync and backup with multiple account support
ii  insync-nemo                                           1.2.6.35101-precise                                 all          Google Drive sync and backup with multiple account support

Re-installing insync-nemo:

$ sudo apt-get --reinstall install nemo
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
0 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 29 not to upgrade.
Need to get 574 kB of archives.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://gh.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/universe nemo amd64 1.8.4-1.1 [574 kB]
Fetched 574 kB in 3s (169 kB/s)
(Reading database ... 371391 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../nemo_1.8.4-1.1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking nemo (1.8.4-1.1) over (1.8.4-1.1) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.6.7.1-1ubuntu1) ...
Processing triggers for gnome-menus (3.10.1-0ubuntu2) ...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.22-1ubuntu1) ...
Processing triggers for bamfdaemon (0.5.1+14.04.20140409-0ubuntu1) ...
Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/bamf-2.index...
Processing triggers for mime-support (3.54ubuntu1.1) ...
Setting up nemo (1.8.4-1.1) ...
$ nemo -q

The menu item is still not there. See screenshot.

Excuse my fat fingers. Here’s the relevant output:

$ sudo apt-get --reinstall install insync-nemo 
[sudo] password for kafui: 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
0 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 29 not to upgrade.
Need to get 0 B/49.0 kB of archives.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
(Reading database ... 371391 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../insync-nemo_1.2.6.35101-precise_all.deb ...
Unpacking insync-nemo (1.2.6.35101-precise) over (1.2.6.35101-precise) ...
Setting up insync-nemo (1.2.6.35101-precise) ...
$ sudo dpkg -l | grep insync 
ii  insync                                                1.2.6.35101-trusty                                  amd64        Google Drive sync and backup with multiple account support
ii  insync-nautilus                                       1.2.6.35101-precise                                 all          Google Drive sync and backup with multiple account support
ii  insync-nemo                                           1.2.6.35101-precise                                 all          Google Drive sync and backup with multiple account support
$ nemo -q

The problem persists.

@korkuvi I’ve taken a look at this and it looks like an issue with the Nemo version available for Ubuntu 14.04. Nemo in Linux Mint works fine. I tried testing with webupd8’s Nemo PPA (http://www.webupd8.org/2014/04/install-nemo-220-with-unity-patches-in.html) but it then has the issue of the Insync context menu not being shown. Looking into that now.

@lpugoy Any update on fixing this bug?

@korkuvi Apologies but I haven’t been able to make progress on this issue yet.

I have the same problem. Xubuntu 14.04 Nemo 1.8.4. Package insync-nemo is installed. Fix it, please!

I have the same problem. Elementary OS (Ubuntu 14.04) Nemo 1.8.4.

dpkg -l | grep insync
ii insync 1.3.3.36056-trusty amd64 Google Drive sync and backup with multiple account support
rc insync-headless 1.2.18.35198-precise amd64 Google Drive sync and backup with multiple account support
ii insync-nautilus 1.2.8.35136-precise all Google Drive sync and backup with multiple account support
ii insync-nemo 1.2.8.35136-precise all Google Drive sync and backup with multiple account support

Did someone solved this problem?

Tagging @lpugoy for update. :smile:

No updates yet, sorry.

I had the same problem on Debian with nemo 3.0.6 and insync 1.3.12 . After installing nemo-python using sudo apt-get install nemo-python the problem was solved, the Insync context menu and emblems are working.

@lpugoy Would really love an update on this. It’s been well over a year now.

Ehh well fuck me.

Fixed the bloody issue after an hour. For the record, insync, the bug wasn’t your fault and all previous instances of it were out of date by now.

Aallll right! So everybody who comes here with this bug better listen up and if a friendly mod could pin this on this thread or something, that would be splendid.

What goes wrong?

The issue is not with insync as said above, but with nemo-python by the looks of it. nemo-python is pretty much the extension meant to load other extensions and since a few years now, it seems to have broken compatibility with a bunch of systems for some reason.

How to fix it?

First of all, you need to run nemo in your terminal. You want to see what specific error it is spitting out as you will need to correct it depending on the output.

You should get a bunch of errors but the most important one is this:

(nemo:13704): Nemo-Python-WARNING **: g_module_open libpython failed: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu//libpython2.7.so.1.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
ImportError: could not import gobject (error was: '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpyglib-gi-2.0-python2.7.so.0: undefined symbol: _Py_ZeroStruct')

Let me bring your attention to the path that fails /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libpython2.7.so.1.0. Yours may differ.

Now you want to find where the actual libpython is stored. I’m not sure how to find it, but chances are, it will be in /usr/lib/ibpython2.7.so.1.0. Once again, it may differ. Check if it exists before anything.

So then you want to symlink them. Change the following command as needed.

ln -s /usr/lib/libpython2.7.so.1.0 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libpython2.7.so.1.0

OH no! It says that the directory doesn’t exist!

Worry not! You just need to create it in that case. mkdir /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu and the re-run the command.

Happy syncing!