New Insync version: 3.1.8

Release notes:

• Fix bug when downloading Google-format files with special characters in their names
  • Fix error when modifying a cloud item that no longer exists

Windows 7 and later
macOS 10.10 (Yosemite and later)

Ubuntu (16.04 Xenial) , (18.04 Bionic) & (20.04 Focal)
Linux Mint (18.x) & (19.x)
Debian (8 Jessie) , (9 Stretch) & (10 Buster)
Fedora (27) , (28) , (29) & (30)

Does this release fix the long-standing bug in v3 where Insync starts using 100% CPU and does no work? Until v3 actually sychronizes files, I’m sticking with v1.5.7.

Hi @Scott_Thomason,

High CPU usage is not yet included in the fixes for 3.1.8. This, however, is one of the top issues that our engineers are working on. We will include it in the release notes for a future build as soon as the fix has been deployed.

Thanks!

Hi @mia

I have been a user of Insync from day 1, having even tested the initial beta versions. I am stuck with 1.5.7 in Mint. The new Mint is coming and will use Ubuntu 20.04, making the 1.5.x version not usable.

I tried the 3.x version more than a year ago and it was a total disaster, losing data and a full week of work.

I am trying to gauge the state of 3.x and for what I can gather it still not usable at a serious level. There are reports of using high CPU and also having memory leaks. In both cases, it appears that they are not solved, despite being there for months.

Is there any place/documentation where I can find what works and what problems 3.x suffers from before I decide to upgrade? I just cannot afford the disaster of last year and for what I am reading 3.x is still an “alpha” version with lots of issues that are not resolved and won’t be for sometime. Is this correct or am I missing something here?

Thanks.

1 Like

+1

This is indeed urgently needed and not just for us on Mint!

Is it really 1.5.7 won't work on Mint based on Ubuntu 20.04? Why?

It seems it will NOT work, they said it:

I think they decided long time ago to not work on 1.5.x version and put the effort on 3.x, fair enough. However, after more than a year, the 3.x version is not usable at a serious level. Some huge issues like memory leak and high CPU usage have been there for months and they release new versions explicitly stating that the releases do not address those problems.

So, we may be on a dead-end here @Vladimir_Oka unfortunately.

Yeah. Pretty much stuffed, it seems.

Any decent alternatives you know of?

I am tending towards overGrive:

https://www.thefanclub.co.za/overgrive/installation-instructions-ubuntu

Seems quite worked out.

What a pity Insync, they had a great product and I can bet they are suffering a lot with what happened with the 3.x version. I thought it was going to be resolved after a year and now unfortunately I may have to find alternatives as 1.5.x won’t work with latest Linux Mint that is coming soon. :-((

Seems a lovely client. Thanks for the tip!

Well worth $5 to try it out.

Shame it seems to support single accounts only. Not an issue for me, though. Yet. :slight_smile:

Thanks again!

1 Like

If you happen to try it, let me know how it goes… In particular how the sync from existing data goes

I’m giving it a careful spin. Started on new folder. Worked fine, but selective sync is not granular enough - only top level folders. May be a pain. Also contact form on web site was broken. Does not bode well. Author ia anweb design company, too. We’ll see…

1 Like

Yes I saw that the selecting sync was only at top level, big limitation. Said so, I am willing to live with that if that is the worse thing.

I accessed the contact form and sent them a message (https://www.thefanclub.co.za/contact) to check their commitment to the project. Insync support has been excellent since the start (in my experience) and the forum here is active (though many answers reflect that they cannot make 3.x to work reasonably)