New Insync version: 3.3.3

Release notes:

• Display folder path instead of folder name in scanning progress item
  • Windows: Fix startup preference setting getting reset upon auto-update
  • Mac: Update Mac icon immediately upon changing between light and dark themes
  • Show prompt when errors are encountered while reading files during upstream syncs

Windows 7 and later
macOS 10.13 (High Sierra and later)

Ubuntu (16.04 Xenial) , (18.04 Bionic) & (20.04 Focal)
Linux Mint (18.x) , (19.x) & (20.x)
Debian (8 Jessie) , (9 Stretch) & (10 Buster)
Fedora (27) , (28) , (29) & (30)

Linux Mint 20.x links still point to 3.3.2

[edit]
It seems all the links still point to 3.3.2
[/edit]

So sorry for the hiccup! I’m having this sorted out by our team.

EDIT: Fixed :slight_smile: @Vladimir_Oka

Thanks!

Now to see all the improvements… :wink:

Well done:
It seems that the problem of spending an inordinate amount of time on re-scanning at startup has been resolved.

Not so well done:
Adding a large subtree (with lots of files) again resulted in very long scan/sync time, stalling, and greying out of the icon. This really needs serious looking into. Didn’t capture logs this time around, but I suspect old ones I sent are similar.

Mixed bag:
Thanks for reinstating full paths in scanning status line. However, seeing as you’re faffing with it, a suggestion: if the path is too long to fit in the display area (and I know that’s dynamic as window is resizable), maybe cut out the middle bit and replace with elipsis? As it is, for very long paths with common root one is sometimes none the wiser as to which folder is being scanned, if any (see stalling issue).

Linux Mint 20, fully updated

1 Like

I’m still experiencing the macOS Big Sur issue of the icon being white on a light background.

The issue appears to be that Insync always uses a white icon when macOS’s dark mode is enabled and always uses the black icon when light mode is enabled.

However, other applications (in fact, all of my applications except for Insync) are capable of transitioning between their light and dark appearance at will, and thus display a dark icon as expected.

Big Sur introduced changes to the menu bar where it is now possible to have a light menu bar even in dark mode. This can be activated by changing the desktop wallpaper to Big Sur (the ocean one) and setting the Dynamic option to Light (Still) or Dynamic (issue will only be present during the day).

This particular wallpaper has the option of being Dynamic meaning that it changes between daytime and nighttime appearances (light and dark) depending on the time of day. All other applications change between their white and dark icons while running and do not require a restart.

Insync’s icon does not change to dark even after a restart. The only way to force Insync’s icon to change is to force light mode (which in my situation is undesirable).

Problematic behavior:

Expected:

I’m running Insync version 3.3.3.40905.

1 Like

@Vladimir_Oka Thank you for reporting your 3.3.3 experience. Let me forward this to our engineers to investigate what’s causing Insync to grey out when adding a large subtree. Are these small files within the subtree, or do they vary in file size?

@hexalellogram Thank you for letting us know about this-- I have notified our Mac team that you are still experiencing this on 3.3.3.

@mia I believe the issue arises when there are lots of small files in a subdirectory structure. This last example seemed to have had a lot of small .js files to go through. Previously, it seemed to struggle with lots of small-ish .jpg files (<200KB).

1 Like

It would be great if you could provide a Linux arm64 build

Gotcha, @Vladimir_Oka. Thanks for this.

Btw-- re: file path truncation: we truncate the middle as shown below:

Is this not the case for you?

@mia Ah. I’ll check next time I have a chance. I did look but now can’t remember exactly, The gut feeling was, though, at least some paths weren’t truncated. Let me get back to you on this.

1 Like

@mia Sorry. It does do that. My bad. Need new glasses. :slight_smile:

1 Like

No worries! And yay, thanks for confirming that it’s showing this behavior on your end too! :slight_smile: