New Insync version: 3.4.0

Release notes:

• Implement 1-way sync feature
  • Improve prompt UX when error code 400 is returned by the cloud

Windows 7 and later
macOS 10.13 (High Sierra and later)

Ubuntu (16.04 Xenial) , (18.04 Bionic) & (20.04 Focal)
Linux Mint (18.x) , (19.x) & (20.x)
Debian (8 Jessie) , (9 Stretch) & (10 Buster)
Fedora (27) , (28) , (29) & (30)

3 Likes

It seems the fedora 34 version has also been built, but there is not link in the post.

Very nice. I notice when I tried to enable 1-way-sync on a subfolder though it told me I can only do so on a top-level folder. Just wondering why that is and if this is set to change?

–Edit–
Screenshot from 2021-05-27 15-16-57
As someone who only started actually using InSync 2 months ago (although in fairness I’ve had my license for a bit under a year), I can’t help but feel a bit cheated upon seeing this…

I genuinely don’t mind having to pay up for additional functionality like this that is of value to me. But this suggests upgrading to a “Personal Plan” which actually misses features (like ignore rules) that I have (and use) with my current Prime license. So in order to get this bit of functionality without losing functionality I previously had I would need to cough up $70 for the “Company” license which is the one that incorporates all previous functionality, too. I wish this could have been handled a bit better for existing customers.

Doesn’t developer plan fit your needs? It contains ignore rules (which I use actively too).

Do you need sharepoint/shared drives support?

Yup, shared drives…

Hi @Marco_Calautti :slight_smile: You can check our repos or downloads page for the F34 build.

Hi @RobinJ1995,

Thank you for your feedback on our licensing, I’ll forward this to our internal team.

As for the 1-way sync functionality, we explain some limitations here. Happy to bring this up with our team as well as a feature improvement.

I’ve taken a closer look and I realised I confused “Shared Drives” (which is a G Suite feature) with just shared folders.

I still would’ve preferred if existing customers would have been automatically transferred on to somewhat-equivalent new licenses where they would not lose functionality by “upgrading” to one of the new licenses (e.g. if I “upgrade” from Prime to Personal I lose my ignore rules, which I imagine would also severely mess up the state of my folders if I wasn’t aware of this beforehand), so that we could then safely “upgrade” to get these new features at a reasonable cost (as from a user’s perspective, we had already purchased the base license with features that are no longer contained in the new “Personal” license), rather than paying more than I paid for my initial license to begin with to upgrade to “Developer”.

That being said, I think InSync is a nice piece of software and I like where the actual application is headed. I think they generally do good work, and I get value from it, so in this case I will actually upgrade to the “Developer” license (the “Company” one would have been much too steep a price increase, however).

TL;DR The license change could’ve been handled better for existing customers, but keep up the good work on the actual product.

2 Likes

Setting “custom” base folder (other than: “Google drive” ) is VERY difficult…
Insync doesn’t start syncing. it is possible to set configuration within a separate .ini file?
you can even backup your configuration …