New PC, complete re-download - files missing

I upgraded my Windows 10 PC and rather than copy the 700 Gig of files over I decided to just download again. I have 50Mbit unmetered. Granted it would take a couple of days. I have around 2 TBytes in Google Drive but selectively sync only some of the folders - all at the root level.

Anyway. Today I noticed that one of the folders containing photos and videos from 2017 was missing most of its files even though Insync thought there were no more files to sync. The folder contains around 5460 files totalling around 301 Gbytes.

So I chose to no longer sync that folder. Waited for it to be gone from my PC. Then chose to sync it again. It’s currently syncing and looks to be around the right number of files.

So two questions:

1. This is a bug. Can I rely on Insync if this is going to happen? I only noticed this folder by chance. Is this normal with this many files?

2. How can I do some sort of check to see if there’s any other folders missing? Such as some sort of recursive G Drive search with file sizes. (Like “du -hs *” on unix). And also on the local copy and see where it differs? This is actually Insync’s job but because of this problem I can’t trust it.

Sorry for the late reply. Tagging our engineer @dipesh and he will get back to you :slight_smile:

Hello @danielbarron,

Do any of the files inside that folder have multiple parent folders on your Google Drive? If so, please note that locally, Insync downloads files only under one of the parent folders to avoid inconsistency and redundancy. If the files don’t have multiple parents, they should sync, unless they are deselected under the selective sync UI or there is some error thrown by Insync.

1. This is not a known bug and is not normal with any number of files. If you still have an instance of it under any folder, we would like to investigate it by looking into the Insync’s databases.

2. Unfortunately, we do not have any program that we could provide you with to check that. What you can try is use another sync setup (using another sync app or Insync app on another machine) and then make a comparison between the local folders of the two.

Thanks

Hi,

I installed Google Drive Stream and used WinDirStat to compare what Insync had downloaded and what was actually in my drive. A number of folders, with no obvious pattern, were missing significant numbers of files or even folders.

None of them have multiple parent folders.

What I am going to do is delete the entire local copy and set up again and leave it running until initial sync is complete. Last time I did shut down the PC part way though.

Are there any limits to file size or number of files? For example caused by using 32 bit integers etc?

Actually I just found out that Google Drive Sync and Backup has the single feature I needed from Insync - multiple accounts. So I have no need for Insync at all since I use Windows. Up to now I was using the traditional Google Drive application.

You should update your marketing on your home page - it’s misleading and out of date.

Now I wasted my money on two licences when I didn’t need any.