No downloading while scanning/removing on linux

Hi,

I’m using insync 3.8.2 on linux, with an gdrive account that contains lots of small (cache) files and a few big files.

All these files are created/deleted every day by some process outside of insync.

What happens most of the time is that insync seems stuck scanning/removing all the small files, all the while the green progress bars of the big files do not move at all, or very slowly.

I don’t understand the reasons:

1. why is removing a 1000 files hogging 1500% of CPU power?
  2. if there is a legitimate reason for point 1), why is the downloading of files that were already started not progressing in the background?

I would think that downloading files first should be the priority.

Hi @gvb1234!

I’d be happy to forward this issue to our engineers and see why 1 & 2 are happening on your setup. Could you please send the ff files to support@insynchq.com:

• logs.db
  • out.txt

These should be in ~/.config/Insync on your machine. Thank you!

Hi @mia, I think I finally found the issue: it is because insync was moving files to trash instead of deleting them. Lots of deleted files meant lots of unnecessary disk access, which was hogging the system.

Disabling the kde/linux trash made syncing much, much faster. I actually wish there was an option to disable trash for insync only, but I can live with that.

1 Like

Thank you for this lead, @gvb1234! Could you confirm if you were deleting files from the cloud or were you unsyncing them from the app?

@mia they are deleted from the cloud.

1 Like

Copy that. Thank you for the information!

For reference: on Google Drive, files are sent to Trash but are permanently deleted after 30 days. As for Insync, it syncs the deletions and sends those deleted files into your local computer’s trash bin just in case you might need to recover it.

Users can opt to override that via what you did, while other users might prefer to keep deleted files in their local computer’s trash folder for a certain time.

I’m happy to include this deletion behavior in our help articles to offer guidance to our users who may be experiencing the same issue.