No subfolders showing on first sync

Hi,
Been using insync for a few years and V happy with it. Installed it on a few different linux machines/ fresh installs and never come across this before. My files in the top level folder on GoogleDrive are showing up / synced successfully but none of the folders are even showing.

Tried to upload my log.db file but got an error msg saying it’s not an allowed filetype; my out.txt file is present but blank. Here’s a bit of system info:
** — info 1 — **
$ uname -a
Linux ThinkPad 4.13.0-36-generic #40~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Fri Feb 16 23:25:58 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
<< latest LTS of xubuntu, fresh install then insync was the first package on top of that >>

** — info 2 — **
$ insync --version
<< I downloaded the insync version for 64bit ubuntu 16.04, which is what xubuntu lts is based on>>
—end info —

Solution tried: From 2015 I found a forum post suggesting to ‘chmod o+x’ the folder :: did that but no better.
?next step?: My current idea is that I was thinking of uninstalling the insync version for my xubuntu 16.04 distro & re-installing with the latest 18.04 version of insync - but will that break things?

Looking forward to any advice please.
BW
ygii

Hi @Whyglobaleyes

Sorry for the trouble. Tagging our engineer @jimperio for further assistance.

@Whyglobaleyes Hmm, there should be no need to update to the 18.04 version.

Just to confirm, did you sync your files by right-clicking them in the Insync files view and selecting Sync?

Could you send your logs to support@insynchq.com so we can troubleshoot further?

Hello Jim (I think that’s right),

Thanks for your msg.

(1) In ans to your Q - when I installed insync IIRC I didn’t have to - or have the option of - right click to select the Google Drive folders. I simply had to select (left click) the top level cloud folder.

(2) When I go into the insync dialogue box / pop-up thing (from the toolbar icon) I can’t see any option to refresh the cloud folder or select sub-folders.

(3) I’ve tried things like get-status , force-sync and update-shares from the CLI :: but again can’t see what settings / config needs correcting for my subfolders.

(4) several reboots :: interestingly new shares keep appearing intermittently after reboot :: these are all files in the top level folder that weren’t downloaded before ===> so it almost looks like a small proportion of the files / folders are identified every time insync launches and then they are synced

Any more ideas please? I’m getting a bit desperate because I can’t really do any proper work on my new laptop (and I’m away from my desktop). Trying to use the gdrive web interface is just a nightmare at the best of times but especially with work spread across about 100 directory trees .

Waiting with bated breath.

Hi,

Found a fix - posting for anyone in future - quite easy in the end, just had to poke around the CLI till I found:
insync set_selective_sync <GdriveEmail>. That brings up a self explanatory terminal where you can select folders from the cloud that you want to sync locally. for some reason all of my subfolders were “deselected”.

BW
Bye

Hi Jim / FAO any passing developers

Just in case this helps you track down some code …

There’s one difference I can think of between my previous installs and the current one;

PREVIOUS: I’ve always created my target local folder before running the insync install / first use script. Eg /home/USER/PersGDrive and /home/USER/WorkGDrive.

CURRENT: I forgot to set up the folders in advance. So I was v pleased when I noticed the option to create the folders within insync first use dialogue … I clicked on the suggested local foldername /home/USER/VeryLongEmailAddress in the setup script and the xubuntu standard file selector dialogue box came up and I clicked the create new folder icon in that dialogue.

==> I wonder if there’s something weird happening when the localfolder is created by invoke-native-file-selector from within insync?

BTW just about to email in the logfile

BW
wgii