Option to ask user before deletion (To prevent massive unwanted deletion)

Hello,

I think you’ve got some users with a bad case of massive unwanted file deletion (like this one), I’m also one of them.

My case is complicated and I don’t have the energy to explain right now. All I have to say is that I managed to stop the bleeding in time (“only” 550 files were deleted out of 300,000) and that you should not focus on my case at the moment but rather listen to my suggestion

I might have a simple solution : add an option to ask user before deleting an item (Filesystem and/or Drive). It should be the same UX as the conflict resolution system: add the item to a list and ask user for resolution.

Sometimes users want automation, sometimes we prefer to use safety nets that require user interactions.

Why is it necessary to implement this feature with high priority ? Because the Google Drive Trash… is trash ! It’s easy to backup and recover filesystem files but for Google Drive, it’s another story :

• You can’t order trash items by “last added to trash”
  • If you’re not the owner of the trashed file/folder, it removes your share permission so you have to ask the owner to restore the file
  • Unless the google doc conversion is enabled, you can’t backup google doc files with a filesystem backup

So unless you know how to read Insync logs (btw, please add human readable date+time to your out.txt log :slight_smile:), when you got a lot of deleted items, it’s really hard to recover them.

Thanks and have a nice day !
Enguerran

Thank you so much for this feedback, @popuphouse.

I understand how frustrating it is to lose your files and we are working on fixes to prevent this from happening moving forward.

Would you be able to provide more information of your case, at your own time, and send me the logs for further investigation? If so, please shoot me an email at support@insynchq.com with your logs, including the following files in the folder:

• logs.db
  • out.txt
  • data folder
  • live folder

If these are too big for an attachment, feel free to send us a link so we can download these.

I did that too by mistake, luckily Microsoft sent an email automatically telling me there was over 2K items in my recycle bin. I was able to restore them. Good thing, this is a lot of important items, like photos. I can get them back, from disk, but I really didn’t want to pull out the disks. Plus I would have lost recent files.