Out of memory: memory leakage?

After just 3 days… Insync is always top of the memory hogs within hours of (re)starting.

I’m very close to giving up on it, and need some convincing response in order to justify persevering with it.

Hi @deeprave,

Memory leak is one of the issues our engineer is prioritizing since it really has been affecting our users’ workflows when it first appeared. Apologies for not being able to deploy a fix sooner!

Could you send your latest logs.db and out.txt to support@insynchq.com with the link to this post?

Hi,
Same problem here. On Mac Big Sur, I get almost 18gb of ram usage just after a few hour of work forcing me to reboot the computer.
@mia : Do you have an estimated date for the release please? It’s becoming to be really annoying.
Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reaching out, @Stef500! Could you send your logs.db and out.txt to support@insynchq.com so we can check it out further?

There is no ETA yet, but this is one of the top priorities that our engineers are working on. Thank you for your patience-- I really can only imagine how frustrating it has been!

Hi,
Does version 3.3.1 (or 3.3.2) fix this problem? Thank you.

Hi all! We deployed memory usage improvements on 3.3.2 (see release notes).

Please update to our latest version here: New Insync version: 3.3.2

If the memory leaks persist, please send your latest logs.db and out.txt files to support@insynchq.com with the link to this post so that we can investigate your cases further.

Version 3.3.3.40905, BigSur, iMacPro, big improvement in memory handling. Few days of uptime, memory usage is stable at around 500MB even drops when idle. Looks like fixed, don’t mess around now with it :wink:

1 Like

Unfortunately, I’m also on version 3.3.3.40905 and I’m experiencing severe memory leaks with about 3-4 days of uptime.

Running Big Sur 11.0.1 build 20B50 on a 2020 MacBook Pro 13" (4 Thunderbolt 3 Ports).

I have two Google Drive accounts logged in, if that matters.

Restarting Insync will fix the memory leakage temporarily but it always rises back up again.

1 Like

Hi @hexalellogram,

My apologies for the huge trouble. We’ve deployed some improvements in 3.3.2, but it didn’t cover all the cases, so we’re looking at the recent cases on 3.3.2 and 3.3.3.

Could you send the logs.db and out.txt files to support@insynchq.com? These can be found by clicking the 3 dots on the upper right > Help > Open logs.

Hi,

I’m testing trial version 3.4.1 of Insync.

As I can see, the memory leakage still here. Unfortunately, I cannot afford to have the software with such an issue.

@mia I love what you’ve done with Insync, but I don’t understand why this hasn’t been resolved over the past 18 months. It is easily reproducible so you don’t need more customer logs. There are many code analysis tools can measure all sorts of metrics to I identify the code and operations that could be the source of the memory leak.

I want to leave it running, but find myself starting Insync and then quitting it a few hours later so it doesn’t consume all my systems memory.

My suggestion would be to provide an option to automatically restart the app once per day. This would let people use it without having to manually restart it constantly. It would limit the impact and could be disabled once the leak was resolved.

2 Likes

Hi @Craig_M,

Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to write to us :slight_smile: Let me bring this up again with our Mac team and also share your suggestion regarding the auto-restart.

Hi @mia,

Is there an update to this situation? I have two Macs running Insync that are suffering from this issue. One is a Mid 2014 MacBook Pro and the other is a 2020 Mac mini M1. The issue is especially frustrating with the Mac mini as it has only 8GB of RAM and Insync ends up using all of it causing performance issues.

Also—I’ve begun to recently experience an issue (possibly unrelated) where Insync quits on its own a few minutes after starting on my MacBook Pro.

1 Like

Hi @cdixon1,

Let me forward this to our engineers as it seems like we would need to circle back on this.

Could you please send me a copy of your logs.db and out.txt files so I can check the sudden quitting behavior you’re experiencing?

Hi @miamoran

I will send you the log files shortly, as I just woke my laptop to find Insync not running.

1 Like

Hi.
Still no reaction on this issue. I submitted the log files on 18th of Feb, 6 months almost passed…
Would be nice to have at least some comments from developers… What brings problems to work on this issue? How can we help? What are the actual plans on it etc.

1 Like

Hi @Denys_Golubiev! Thank you for following up.

We haven’t been able to deploy a fix on the memory leak issue since the logs that users sent in the past did not provide any leads. :pensive: Additionally, our developers weren’t able to consistently replicate this and needed to focus on other pressing issues that had better leads. We are, however, reinvestigating the issue for our next cycle. :slight_smile:

If you could please re-send your latest logs.db and out.txt files to support@insynchq.com, that would be extremely helpful.

I have same problem in my Mac Mini . During synchronisation with Google Drive, the processor is almost 100% utilised. 4-5 Gb of memory is busy .
The computer cannot be used.
If I disconnect Insink, everything is fine.
As far as I understand from your answer this is not a priority for resolution.
After years of use I now think I need to look for other sync software.
Unfortunately.
All the best in solving more important problems.

Hi @caisy,

My apologies for the trouble you’ve been experiencing for a while! As mentioned in my last post, our engineers have once more reprioritized memory leak issues in our upcoming cycle so we can re-investigate the reports we’ve received from our users.

We will inform users as soon as an improvement has been deployed.

Same issue here. I’m a new user and insync is currently using 50GB (!) of RAM on my M1 Mac.

1 Like