Out of memory: memory leakage?

@mia, yep I’ll do that now. I did a little test and disabled my Time Machine updates on my other computer for awhile and sure enough Insync’s memory usage did not get out of control. Not concrete proof still but interesting nonetheless. Interestingly on my main computer I noticed that Insync had quit itself at some point (I suspect due to the ballooning memory usage).

1 Like

@cdixon1 We appreciate you!

1 Like

I’m having the same memory leak issue as many other users. Sent log files, txt file, and settings to support@insynchq. I am running Insync on an MB Pro with M1 Max. I have about 50 GB of files that are being synced. Over 5000 files. A few really big files, one is over 10 GB and another is 9 GB and a third is over 5 GB. Those don’t change very often, but just giving you some background.

1 Like

Hi Andy,

We have received your logs, thank you so much for sending them our way! Just curious - do you also have Time Machine running on your MB Pro with M1 Max?

Yes, I am running Time Machine. However, I excluded the drive from backups. And it was leaking prior to Time Machine actively backing up, as I didn’t have a drive to back up to for some time (about a week ago I got the new drive for backups.) Time Machine was turned on for the last couple of years.

Hey guys! Our engineer has successfully replicated the memory leak issue with Time Machine and deployed an improvement (huge thanks to @cdixon1 again!!)

Could you guys please manually update to 3.7.3 first, and then please let me know if you observe the memory leak persisting?

1 Like

Please. This is eating my SSD in the long-term. Insync is almost unusable on machine that is on 24/7.

Be aware that I do have around 20TB in my GDrive.
But Insync is only used for syncing around 100GB of data.

The rest ist excluded via the gitignore rules from within the base directory.

@mia Thanks for keeping us updated! Unfortunately it still seems like the issue exists. I installed 3.7.3 around 10:00PM EST last night and memory usage was around 250MB. I just checked my Mac mini M1 now at 10:00AM EST and memory usage is currently at 3.75GB. I will keep it running for another day or so to see if it continues to increase.

Edit #1: Now, at 10:26AM EST after one Time Machine backup cycle, the memory usage has increased to 3.87GB :frowning:

Edit #2: 11:38AM EST, 3.98GB
Edit #3: 12:40PM EST, 4.10GB
Edit #4: 1:15PM EST, 4.10GB (right before TM cycle)
Edit #5: 1:34PM EST, 4.21GB (right after TM cycle)
Edit #6: 2:45PM EST, 4.32GB

Interestingly the increase was 0.11-0.12GB each time. So over a day 2.88GB, and over a week 20.16GB. Seems like there’s still work to be done!

1 Like

Hi @cdixon1 and @Gilgo,

My apologies for the persistent issue, especially after I sent a build that supposed had the improvement :frowning:

Could you please send your latest logs.db and out.txt to support@insynchq.com so we can check it out?

Hi @mia,

No worries! I appreciate that it’s actively being worked on now. I just sent my my latest logs.db and out.txt files over. I should note that I did quit and restart Insync shortly after the last update to my previous post, around 3:00PM today.

1 Like

Hey @mia,

Any updates? It’s been over two months since the last one. I can also say that there is a small memory leak even when Time Machine is not running. After restarting Insync it its at around 300MB of memory usage but will increase to around 1.0GB after a few days without a restart of the program.

Hi @cdixon1!

Our engineers continue to investigate this issue as it seems to be more complicated than we expected. I’ll follow it up with them. Am I understanding that you’re on v3.7.6 at present?

Hi @miamoran,

I appreciate the quick response! Are you able to let us know in any way how it is more complicated? It would go a long way in letting us know you are committed to solving the issue!

And yes, running v3.7.6.50356. I restarted Insync last night (was at ~275 MB), and right now it is sitting at 580 MB of memory usage.

Let me get more insight from our engineer and I’ll update you here! :slight_smile:

Noted on the current version and spike on memory consumption.

1 Like

Hi @cdixon1!

So sorry for the delay and thank you for waiting! As per our engineer, the testing and investigation became harder to replicate after the initial Time Machine lead and fix that we deployed in v.3.7.3 :disappointed_relieved: The testing didn’t happen consistently after we received reports + logs from users who still experienced the memory leak after updating their app.

Hi @mia,

Thanks for the update. What I have noticed recently is that the memory usage goes up when any sort of data transfer is happening on my computer. For example, the other day I simply copied a large file to a network storage location and Insync’s memory usage increased. Even just downloading a large file seems to have an effect.

1 Like

Hi @cdixon1,

We will check into this lead! Thank you very much for always sharing your updates and feedback to our team :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @mia,

Just checking in here again. Any updates?

Hi @cdixon1,

We will be updating this thread when we have more updates and developments into Memory Leak issues. We sincerely apologize for the backlog and appreciate your patience with our team.

2 Likes

Hi @mia,

Another check-in. How are things going on this?