Permission issue through mapped drive (not a bug, more a linux noob issue?)

Hi everyone,

Yesterday, I tested (and bought, that was exactly the tool I was looking for!) insync. Everything went fine, I solved all my issues reading and learning from the Internet (I’m not an advanced user with Linux… Thanks google!). But one issue got me pinned.

I’m using a Debian machine as a storage server, among other things. Yes, I’m using root for almost everything, from SSH access to network sharing. I can read/write file on my shared drive just fine from my Windows machine (Windows use my root credentials to map the drive), except for what insync downloaded from Google Drive. Everything in the insync designated folder is read only from my Windows computer, even if the folders/files permissions are showing as owned by “root”; the same permissions are shown on everything outside that folder.

I tested a few things, and to be able to write in the designated insync folder I have to give “others” write access. By “others” I mean the “third” part of the permissions… I was shown by a coworker the use of “chmod”, with 3 numbers, the first beeing the “owner”, the second beeing the “group”, and the third beeing “others”. If I use “chmod -R 766” on the folder, the issue is solved…

The question is: Why don’t it work with “744” permissions, just like every other files I’m accessing through the mapped drive?

I’m so sorry if my explanations aren’t clear, I may be a noob with that kind of talk :frowning:

Please help?

Have a great whatever_time_is where you are living,

Bodo

P.s.: I posted this in another thread yesterday, then I realised the thread was 2+ years old… Sorry.

1 Like

Hi Bodo,

I’ve replied to the other thread (Set file owner, group, permissions) and have sought the assistance of our engineers. :slight_smile: They will get back to you as soon as they can! :slight_smile:

1 Like