Please fix or stop overwriting /usr/bin/insync on Fedora

Hello:

Please fix or stop overwriting /usr/bin/insync on Fedora. You keep breaking insync on Fedora.

This is what you ship in the Fedora RPM, and it breaks insync:

/usr/bin/insync  <-------

#!/bin/bash
cd /usr/lib/insync
LC_TIME=C exec ./insync "$@"

And here is how to fix it:

#! /bin/bash
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/insync:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}
cd /usr/lib/insync

Everytime a new insync RPM is installed, it overwrites my fixed version with your broken one. So please either fix /usr/bin/insync in the RPM or respect (i.e. leave unmodified) the one that is present.

Realizing that things are not synced and things start syncing in reverse from another computer is a huge problem. This can’t happen. insync has to work reliably.

Thank you!

1 Like

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Tagging our engineer @Kurt_Ko to make sure that this is addressed asap. :slight_smile:

Thank you. :relaxed: And remember, the following is the fix I found for the previous bug I submitted. See my last bug submission for the problem. This should be implemented as the fix.

#! /bin/bash
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/insync:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}
cd /usr/lib/insync
1 Like

Why does this break insync? I use the Fedora version, updated automatically by dnf using the Insync repo, and have never had a problem.

That’s because you either don’t have LD_LIBRARY_PATH set, or you do and whatever libraries you have installed in those paths (which vary from system to system) happen to not conflict with incync.

Thusly, it is safer to add the line I have above, which causes LD_LIBRARY_PATH to prefer /usr/lib/insync/ libraries when running, well /usr/lib/insync/insync – irrespective of the system the software lands on.

SIDE NOTE: Not unlike LC_TIME=C wasn’t left to chance by not defining it.

1 Like

OK[quote=“NYCeyes, post:5, topic:12954, full:true”]
That’s because you either don’t have LD_LIBRARY_PATH set, or you do and whatever libraries you have installed in those paths (which vary from system to system) happen to not conflict with incync.
[…]

OK