Prioritise file/folder types

Hi Team,

I’d like to shape how insync deals with files that are waiting to be synced. This problem might be too niche to prioritise, however I think the best solution might be to allocate priorities to files waiting to be synced.

The situation is: I am attempting to sync a few hundred GB of files to my GDrive, and due to some technical complications appear to be using smoke signals instead of a regular internet connection (it’s really slow).

By default, insync has two upload slots for local files, and it decides whatever it wants to allocate to each slot.

The problem is, while these uploads are happening to the archive files, the regular files I’m using almost daily aren’t being synced at all. They’re waiting in the queue, and by my estimation it will be weeks before they’re dealt with.

I’d like to be able to allocate one upload slot to this massive queue of uploads, and yet keep the other free for incidental changes and document creation. Alternatively, allocate one slot to file type x and the other to file type y, or possibly per folder.

Your feedback appreciated.

We’re planning a feature that will allow you to control the number of files being synced at a time, however, prioritizing sync of specific filetypes is not something we are currently considering. Will bring this up to the team as well to see if this is a possibility :slight_smile:

1 Like

Maybe use one channel for the biggest in size order, and the other for the smallest.

You might adjust your computer life for less churn in backed up files, like put the final product in saved folders but input and intermediate high churn in folders not backed up. Or make a zip of all the files at benchmark checkpoints that is then quiescent and backed up.