Progress bar with percentage when "dark" long processes

First, Congratulations for a great software.

Second, as all we read and experiment very often, Insync runs some “dark” processes (like “syncing metadata” or so) which takes a lot of time and we use to wonder if the app is working good… or is stuck in a process and needs to “pause and run”, or a close-reopen or even a PC-reboot…

For example, I’m syncing about 300GB for 4 days (Internet speed: 25 Mbits download / 5 Mbits upload) and many times during the long long process I have experimented many moments where I didn’t know what to do: wait? To do something? Hard decisions when you take the risk to begin again… and again… and again… if something goes wrong.

So… don’t you think we all could breath more relaxed if we could see a “progress bar” or something similar with a percentage indicator of task done when Insync is doing some of these “dark” tasks which use to make us nervous?

What do you think?

Insync 1.2.17.35187 for Ubuntu 14.04 - 64bit.
Data synced: 300 GB.
Files synced: 180.000.
Linux Mint 17.2 - 64bit.
Intel Core 2 Duo - 3.0 Ghz - 8 GB RAM.

3 Likes

@quasaribex Thanks for the feedback. Is the number of files queued not being shown in your case?

Not really. Number of files queued is being shown when downloading or uploading… but not in these “dark” processes like “syncing metadata…”. Right now for example, I added another folder to sync (in my experience is better to select some folders little by little than 300 GB in one time to avoid stucks), and immediately Insync began to “sync metadata”. Now, more than 2 hours “syncing metadata” but any bar progress or percentage indicator to know if Insync is working good… or is stuck in a recurrent process and needs a manual pause-and-resume, or a close-and-open or even a pc reboot. In my experience, sometimes, after one of these three actions, Insync went ahead.

The picture is all that I can see. If we could see some information about how many perecentage of “syncing metadata” (or something similar) is left… it could be very useful to know the app is working good and we have just to wait relaxed.

Thanks!

UPDATED NEWS:

After “syncing metadata” for about 3 hours, Insync began to download files. :slight_smile:

Linux Mint 17.2 - 64bit.

And this is another “dark” process where there isn’t any indicator bar about what is going on and how many time or work is left. Hard disk working intensively.

Linux Mint 17.2 - 64bit.

1 Like

@quasaribex I see. I agree that we need to show more progress on these operations. I’ll create a ticket for this but I can’t provide an ETA.

1 Like

Happy to read that! Thank you!

Does Insync create traffic on your machine, while doing its metadata stuff?
Currently I’m uploading 1TB and I always have an eye on the traffic of Insync, that way I can tell if it’s working or not.
I changed some settings on my router, Insync traffic stopped, resetted the connection and boom it was syncing again.

Are you still in the same situation? Try this website you may get your solution.