Remote changes in team drives are not detected

Hello,
a month ago we decided to migrate all our company files from classical drive folders to team drives.

Since then, whenever a colleague of mine modifies the contents of some folders inside one of the team drives, my workstation does not notice these changes until I open the insync panel by hand and navigate the team drive by double clicking and taking the folder where I expect the change.

Obviously it is rather debilitating and forces me to use team drives exclusively from the web, making my insync license useless.

I hope that someone at Insnyc could take care of this problem.

I’m currently running Ubuntu 18.04 x86_64, kernel 4.15.0-51-generic, with insync version 1.5.7.37371.

This situation exists since months. You can take a look at my post history. The annual license business model is a joke as the core functionality is broken since autumn last year.

My hope is for the new software version 3. My fear is that it will take up to a year to get any usable version from the new branch. Still core functionality missing and not really tested very well yet. As far as I can tell there will be no development on the current version (1.5+) at all - at least there hasn’t been since last year.

To be completely honest: there sadly is no real alternative for Linux… as soon as there is anything comparable I’ll happily switch. Until then I am stuck with Insync.

1 Like

Hi @wolfi,

I completely understand your frustration on this and I’m really sorry for the lack of updates or fixes on this issue from our end.

We’re hoping to fix a lot of Google Team Drive issue with Insync 3, especially with the new core bringing in improved syncing reliability and syncing speeds. We’re currently on version 3.0.9 on our beta and looking to release for you guys to use and test real soon.

I expect that my yearly licence will be extended since the date of release of the patch for another year.

Right now I’m paying for a service that I cannot use without the live update feature.

Hi Lorenzo,

Really sorry for this hassle. If you’re on Prime or Teams, the license is lifetime!

We’re working on this on Insync 3. You can try it out if you want. You can download from: Insync version: 3.0.11 beta - sync OneDrive! but there are still missing features :frowning:

Hi @nikki!

Tried to give 3.0.15 a shot as 1.x was not really usable anymore.
Looks promising and set it up on 3 PCs - all with the same Google accounts:

• One PC that was setup new - everything fine so far.
  • On two PCs I had to migrate existing installations
  • At first both worked fine, but on one of the two it had problems with Team Drives
  • completely restarted the Team Drives on the affected PC and discovered that it is currently not possible to select another destination folder… which is fine at the moment as this hopefully is fixed in one of the next versions
  • on the one where I restarted Team Drives everything seems to be working fine
  • on the other one there seem to be serveral synching problems:
  • some files are duplicated locally,… adding “(1)” or “(2)” at the filename end (those files are not synched into drive - online everything looks fine)
  • some directories are not synched, unless i open the folder within the folder browser within the insync app… although everything is selected in selective sync
  • the app indicator icon goes to “green/OK” after a while but in nautilus and within insync app folder view I see many directories marked “blue/pending”

I’ll try to stop insync on the problematic PC and make a clone of data and settings files of the working one. Hopefully that fixes it.

Edit: was remembering things incorrectly and changed the description of the issue.

Edit2: Nope - cloning from machine to machine does not work (google security). Restarted from scratch and I think it should be fine for now. Last thing I am really looking forward to: configuration of Team Drive base folder… then a very very long time of frustration comes to an end. Thank you for sticking through it… despite my disgruntled remarks! Thank you!

2 Likes

Hi @wolfi

Glad to hear Insync is sailing smooth right now. Do update us and let us know about the syncing in your Team Drives. We’d love to hear your feedback :heart:

Somewhat smooth… still not stable in syncing all files. Even with the newer versions (currently on 3.19) there are always folders/fildes that have been created in Drive but will only sync to local drive once you manually browse in the app window folder structure.

Also Team Drives cannot be put in a custom base folder but are stored right in the user home folder. That just seems so ridiculous that you force your folder there.

I can confirm that still not stable in syncing. Lot of files are downloaded only after manually browsing.

Hi @Lorenzo_Giustozzi,

Did you experience this on 3.0.27? If so, did you previously select all the folders you needed to sync and then noticed that not all were synced?

Yes I did.
Sometimes, browsing locally, I just spot that tsome files that are present online are missing.

I see. Can you check if these auto-sync setting are enabled on your app?